HELP! How long does it take for fertilizer to change soil pH

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

HELP! How long does it take for fertilizer to change soil pH

Postby Vicel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:46 pm

My project is "What is the Effect of the Type of Fertilizer on how much the Soil pH is decreased?" I need this question answered because I need an idea of how long it will take me to perform this experiment. Please respond soon!
Vicel

Project Question: What is the effect of the type of fertilizer on how much the soil pH is increased?
Project Due Date: 9/20/12
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: HELP! How long does it take for fertilizer to change soi

Postby sarahlaugtug » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Hello Vicel!
Thank you for your inquiry. This sounds like a really fun project. When I was in school, I did several projects in plant biology-it is fun stuff, especially when you can apply your learning to your garden!

Your question sounds like you would like to know how different fertilizer types affect the pH of the soil. You can perform this experiment simply and without using any plants, if you wish. My advice is to review the Scientific Method to learn how to conduct an experiment. http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml The first step is to come up with a question, just as you have already done, so that is good news.

Here is a resource that contains some information about pH of soil and water, and sounds like these are the things you are trying to find out. Check this project out and let me know what you think?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ml#summary

Here are alternate projects similar to the above (i.e. the project you want to do)
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... eityourown

It will be easier to test solutions (liquid) rather than soil (solids) for pH differences when using pH paper.

If you will be testing pH, you will need some pH paper (0-14) to measure how acidic or basic your solutions are. Here is where you can get it:
http://astore.amazon.com/sciencebuddie- ... B003TV3GTY

To answer your question, it won't take long to test the pH of different fertilizers (especially if they are liquids already), because the pH paper tells you the value almost instantly. In general, without knowing specifically what materials you are using, I would allow yourself at least 2 weeks to prepare, plan, and perform your project. The actual experiment, depending on how many different types of fertilizers you are testing should take a couple days.

Let me know how things go or if you need more help.
Always remain curious,
Sarah
sarahlaugtug
Expert

Project Question: Ask an Expert Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a

Postby Vicel » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Thank you very much for your help! :)
Vicel

Project Question: What is the effect of the type of fertilizer on how much the soil pH is increased?
Project Due Date: 9/20/12

Postby sarahlaugtug » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:28 pm

No problem, Vicel. How is your project coming along?

-Sarah
Always remain curious,
Sarah
sarahlaugtug
Expert

Project Question: Ask an Expert Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences