How Acid rain affects the rate of corrosion?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

How Acid rain affects the rate of corrosion?

Postby ryansiims » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:59 pm

In the online project how acid rain effects the rate of corrosion project they instruct you to use a thermometer but what does measuring temperature have to do with the project?
ryansiims

Project Question: Acid Rain effecting metals
Project Due Date: November
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: How Acid rain affects the rate of corrosion?

Postby heatherL » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi ryansiims,

According to the background for the project (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... background), "When iron and oxygen combine to make iron oxide (rust), heat is given off, which means the reaction is exothermic (exo means "out" and therm means 'heat,' so heat is sent out when the reaction occurs). With a thermometer and a timer, you can measure how fast heat is being given off (the rate), and that will give you an idea of how fast the reaction is occurring."

You are measuring temperature as a proxy (substitute) for the rate of the rusting reaction. If you take a look at the procedure (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #procedure), you will be graphing things according to temperature, so you can decide whether steel rusts faster in normal rain conditions or acid rain conditions.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences