Death Rays: What Duration of Ultraviolet Exposure Kills Bact

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Death Rays: What Duration of Ultraviolet Exposure Kills Bact

Postby handcok » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi I am doing this experiment that I got in this website. I was wondering why a bunsen burner was necessary for the project. It is on the materials list. I am also wondering if it is completely necessary for the 200ul pipette to automatic. Also what is the bent glass rod and why is it necessary. The last thing I need is where to buy a shortwave uv light and what is a good model? Please Help. Thank You.
handcok

Project Question: Death Rays: What Duration of Ultraviolet Exposure Kills Bacteria?
Project Due Date: February 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Death Rays: What Duration of Ultraviolet Exposure Kills

Postby sunmoonstars » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:18 am

Hi,

I see you are doing this project: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/MicroBio_p017.shtml

I can help answer your questions:
I was wondering why a bunsen burner was necessary for the project. It is on the materials list. I am also wondering if it is completely necessary for the 200ul pipette to automatic. Also what is the bent glass rod and why is it necessary. The last thing I need is where to buy a shortwave uv light and what is a good model?

The bent glass rod is for spreading the bacteria on the plates. The bunsen burner is to heat the glass rods so you can bend them (and it sterilizes at the same time). The pipettor does not need to be automatic - any tool you can use to acurately measure will work fine. You can get a UV light (and the protective eyewear) at home-supply stores, or on Amazon (something like this one or similar will work fine - http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Ultraviolet-LED-flashlight-7202UV395/dp/B001Q70A0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350479802&sr=8-2&keywords=uv+light)

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Tonya
:)
sunmoonstars
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby klhjbh62604 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Hello:

Tonya has provided you with great information.

I wanted to add that if you can find sterile inoculating loops, you can use these for your plating rather than using a bunsen burner and glass rods.

Kati
klhjbh62604

Project Question: Ask the Expert Volunteer.

Postby dwarkesh » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Hello,
I am planning on doing this project. I have spent about half an hour looking through the project I was wondering if you COULD do it at home without harming ourselves or our family. I go to middle school and if this does harm us, would it not harm others at school? I am saying this because I have no idea how this UV ray machine is. There is this place called Kraton and I know someone who works there. I'm not sure if going there would do the trick. Do shed some light.Will this machine only affect a corner of a room? If this going to only last a couple hours, I could not anybody near it.
dwarkesh

Project Question: The purpose of this project is to observe the effects of short-term ultraviolet light exposure on bacteria.
Project Due Date: November 14th, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby sunmoonstars » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:44 am

dwarkesh wrote:Hello,
I am planning on doing this project. I have spent about half an hour looking through the project I was wondering if you COULD do it at home without harming ourselves or our family. I go to middle school and if this does harm us, would it not harm others at school? I am saying this because I have no idea how this UV ray machine is. There is this place called Kraton and I know someone who works there. I'm not sure if going there would do the trick. Do shed some light.Will this machine only affect a corner of a room? If this going to only last a couple hours, I could not anybody near it.

Hi Dwarkesh,

Right, the UV light is not good for humans, either. A quick flash wouldn't do much noticeable damage, but any prolonged exposure should be prevented. You could do this at home, but since working with bacteria, please be sure to get familiar with the precautions here:

Also, in general, when working with bacteria, I try to stay away from working in areas where food is kept - like the kitchen. Find a different place to do your work and it should be as safe as working at the school.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Micro_Safety.shtml
Tonya
sunmoonstars
Expert

Postby dwarkesh » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:43 pm

None of the teachers in my school have an incubator. What can I do?
dwarkesh

Project Question: The purpose of this project is to observe the effects of short-term ultraviolet light exposure on bacteria.

Postby sunmoonstars » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:37 am

Hi, this page explains about growing bacteria in an incubator, and directions to make a light bulb incubator: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... Agar.shtml

Enjoy!
Tonya
sunmoonstars
Expert

Postby dwarkesh » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:22 am

Hi Again
My teacher says I can do this without an incubator. It would just take longer. Is that okay. Second, I looked up pipettors and they are above a hundred dollars.
dwarkesh

Postby sunmoonstars » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:53 am

dwarkesh wrote:Hi Again
My teacher says I can do this without an incubator. It would just take longer. Is that okay. Second, I looked up pipettors and they are above a hundred dollars.

OK, I only see one place where you need the pipettor - when measuring out the initial 100 uL of E. coli. Let me know if you see it in other places in the protocol... Maybe it would be possible to check if another class/teacher has a pipettor for you to borrow. It is pretty important to measure the bacteria you deliver to the plate because you need to know that the amount delivered to each plate is kept constant among the different plates. If you HAVE to, you may be able to estimate using a pasteur pipette, or better yet, a small syringe that can measure 1/10 or a ml. Do you think you can get creative and find a way to deliver the E. coli? Let me know what you come up with and what other help you may need.

Tonya
:)
sunmoonstars
Expert

Postby dwarkesh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 pm

My bacteria are growing and I did shine 395nm uv light at them at the times suggested by this project but no difference was noticed between the control group and the group that received 300 sec. of light. In fact, that grew better.
dwarkesh

Postby sunmoonstars » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:44 am

Ok, I suppose you were able to figure out how to get the bacteria plated. That's great!

How far away from the light source were the bacterial plates? Can you give me your data? - The actual colony counts from each half of each plate?

Did anything strange happen during your procedure?

Thanks,
Tonya
sunmoonstars
Expert

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences