Oil Eating Microbes

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Oil Eating Microbes

Postby caikins » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 am

For PJAS I want to do an experiment on the effectiveness of oil eating bacteria at diff temp and pH's. Can you recommend a supplier of alcanivorax borkemenisis? I only found one (ATCC) and it was expensive! Can I use psuedomonas? What type of oil would be closest to crude oil? I am going to measure the weight which should decrease due to microbial respiration. How can I measure CO2 given off? Thanks!
caikins

Project Question: For PJAS I want to do an experiment on the effectiveness of oil eating bacteria at different temperatures and PH's. Can you recommend a supplier of alcanivorax borkumenisis? I only found one( ATCC) and it was expensive! Can I use pseudomonas? If I can't get crude oil, what other types of oil would be the closest to crude oil I am going to measure the weight which should decrease due to the microbial respiration. How could I measure the CO2 given off in the respiration? Thanks!
Project Due Date: October 31, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Oil Eating Microbes

Postby klhjbh62604 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Hello:

This sounds like a great experiment. I would recommend looking at this pdf to help guide you in an experimental set-up.
www.powayusd.com/online/.../Oil%20Degra ... crobes.pdf

As seen in the above PDF, psuedomonas can be used for this experiment. If looking for inexpensive kits you may want to look at DNA Depot LLC.
http://www.dnadepot.com/products/kits/302.html#prod

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Kati
klhjbh62604

Project Question: Ask the Expert Volunteer.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences