Save those spoiling strawberries!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Save those spoiling strawberries!

Postby Singeractorchic » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:32 am

In this project I have to immerse strawberries in hot (not boiling) water but it says to immerse the strawberries in a plastic basket won't the basket melt. What do I do?!?
Singeractorchic

Project Question: My project is "save those spoiling strawberries!" And in the project your immersing strawberries in hot water (not boiling) to see if this method will make strawberries last longer but it says to leave the strawberries in their plastic basket when immersing it in the hot water but won't the plastic basket melt in the water. What do I do?
Project Due Date: 1-23-13
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Save those spoiling strawberries!

Postby heatherL » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi there,

Welcome to Science Buddies! It looks like you are doing this project: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ml#summary

This is a really cool project. It's great that you are thinking about melting points. According to the procedure (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #procedure), you should be heating the water to 125 degrees Farenheit, which is just over halfway to boiling (212 Farenheit). Most plastics melt near or above the boiling temperature for water, so you'll be fine as long as you keep the temperature close to what the procedure suggests. Make sure to have a thermometer on hand, so you can monitor the temperature closely.

Please post again (in this same thread) if you have any more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences