rock weathering experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

rock weathering experiment

Postby rbunner2 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:08 pm

NEED HELP I preformed a science project to try and produce weathering on rocks by freezing them and then baking them to see if they would break them into pieces. After preforming the experiment several times I was unable to produce any measurable results. NO change in any of the rocks. My question is how do I show NO change on a data table and graph for a science project board. I need to complete this project soon and do not know what to do if you can not produce measurable results.
rbunner2

Project Question: weathering on rocks
Project Due Date: nov 25
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: rock weathering experiment

Postby heatherL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:18 am

Hi rbunner2,

What an interesting project! Did you try freezing the rocks with water present? Often it is the expansion of water during freezing that causes rocks to break apart.

If you do not have time to repeat your experiment with and without water, you can still present what you have done. Did you make any measurements (like the length, width, and height of each rock) before and after freezing and baking? If so, you can graph these measurements to show that there was no difference in the measurements before and after your treatment. Something like a grouped bar graph could work well here.

Let me know if this makes sense, and please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences