question about Potatoes regulating sprout growth

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

question about Potatoes regulating sprout growth

Postby mary10 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 pm

I have a question about the conditions for optimum sprout growth. After 2 weeks, there was not sprout growth except for about 1/8" on 1 piece.
Is temperature a factor. How tight should the rubber band be on the paper bags? Is any air allowed to get into the bag? Should the bags be in a cabinet?"
Please describe the ideal growth conditions. I'm still confused about the principle in theory. I've read that potatoes do regulate the growth of sprouts. Can you explain the principle? Thanks.
Mary
[E-mail deleted by moderator]
mary10

Project Question: I did the potato sprout experiment on science buddies, plant section with pieces of potato (whole up to 8 pieces) placed in a paper bag with a rubber band around it and put in a dark place for 2 weeks. At the end of the 2 weeks, I opened the bag and found 1 small sprout( 1/8") on the intact potato. Nothing on the others. Any comments what may have gone wrong knowing the background and what should have happened.
Project Due Date: December 15, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: question about Potatoes regulating sprout growth

Postby drowningfish » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Hello,
My guess is that your potatoes are just not sprouting fast enough. Maybe you can leave them in the paper bags for another week to see if they will sprout. Also, some ways you can speed up sprouting is to store them near onions, bananas, or other fruit. Potatoes will also sprout faster if they are damp.
Good luck
drowningfish
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: question about Potatoes regulating sprout growth

Postby sarahlaugtug » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Hello Mary10,

Good questions!
"Is temperature a factor. How tight should the rubber band be on the paper bags? Is any air allowed to get into the bag? Should the bags be in a cabinet?"
These are questions that can be answered as a part of your experiment, and should be explored and included in your report/results section.

I recommend rereading the experiment to find out why you use paper bags. How do the bags simulate the natural environment of growing potatoes? Why do they need to grow underground?

Also, please read the [b]procedure[/b] and[b] Background sections [/b]and it will tell you the growing conditions. http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #procedure. Why should you plant them in those conditions? Include your answer in your research section of your report--also, at the end of your project, you will need to analyze why you think the results happened the way the did: did temperature affect your results? Do you think the location of the bags affected your results? These are things you can talk about in your results section of your report.

The rubber bands keep the light out of the bags, so tie them as tight as you can to block any light. Also you will put them in a cabinet or other dark place.
Here are more resources about potato sprouting,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/arch ... otato.html
http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=180
According to this resource, sprouting can take 1-4 weeks with potatoes that have not been treated with a fungicide (to kill fungi).
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/ ... tatoes.htm

Let us know if we can help you further or if you have questions about the information I've posted.
Attachments
growth&development.pdf
Potato growth and development
(271.88 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Always remain curious,
Sarah
sarahlaugtug
Expert

Project Question: Ask an Expert Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences