Fish tank science experiement

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Fish tank science experiement

Postby smart1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:55 pm

The Science Fair project I am currently doing is "The Effect Varying Amounts of Light have on Algae Growth".
http://school.discoveryeducation.com/sc ... inder.html
The project has three 6-day period trials. In the first trial the fish tank should be exposed to 2 hours of light each day, in the second trial 4 hours of light each day, and in the third trial 6 hours of light each day. I have performed these procedures and algae has not grown at all. What results should be expected of these three trials, how much algae would grow following each trial?(algae is measured in sq. inches)
smart1

Project Question: Science experiment: Amount of Light effect on Algae growth in aquarium
http://school.discoveryeducation.com/sc ... inder.html
It has 3 trials. First trial:12 hours of light 2 each day Second trial:24 hours of light 4 each day. Third trial:36 hours of light 6 each day. During this procedures the algae has not grown at all. What are the results for this experiment, how much algae should grow in these trials?
Project Due Date: 12/3/12
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Fish tank science experiement

Postby microkts » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:35 am

Hi,

This is a great science fair project. It is alright if you don't get the results you expected. When you write your summary/conclusions you should discuss the kinds of things that contribute to algae growth. What things other than light do the algae need to grow? Which of these things do you think were missing from your experimental setup? If you have enough time you could try the experiment again with different conditions. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kierstyn
microkts
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences