Physarum Polycephalum Maze Making

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Physarum Polycephalum Maze Making

Postby bk-boiler » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:11 pm

I am a student in eighth grade testing the maze solving abilitiy of the Physarum Polycephalum. I was wondering what material should be used to make the barriers in the maze.
bk-boiler

Project Question: I am conducting an experiment to test if the physarum polycephalum can find the shortest bath between two oats in a maze. I was wondering what material should be used to form the barriers of the maze.
Project Due Date: January 31, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Physarum Polycephalum Maze Making

Postby cjb » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi there,

It just so happens that Science Buddies has a experiment very similar to the one you're conducting. The experiment guide shows that they used transparency paper (with a pre-printed design for the maze buit in) and placed it on an agar surface to create the maze. Just a reminder, if you plan on entering this experiment in a science fair, be sure to check out the rules that your school's science fair committee has on using biological agents. There's more information in the guide.

Link: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ml#summary

Best of luck!
cjb
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences