Test glucose content

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Re: Test glucose content

Postby bumblebee27 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Heather,

I am glad to let you know that my project won second place at the Regional Science Fair. I have been asked to participate at the state level. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Vish
bumblebee27

Project Question: I am helping 2 kids in my school who are doing science project. One of them travelling to Asia for a 3 week vacation and they wanted to use the trip to compare things which could be different. I suggested to look into astronomy. Is there any other things to consider that one can do a experiment in 2 different countries and compare?
Project Due Date: Jan 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby heatherL » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:56 am

Hi Vish,

Thank you for that exciting update! You developed a unique and well-conducted study, and it's so great that you earned second place. Make sure to incorporate any feedback from your judges at the regional fair as you prepare for the state fair. Let me know if you need help with that process.

Best,
Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby bumblebee27 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks Heather,

I came first in the Medical and Health Science section in the Arizona State Fair (Azsef)

Thanks once again for your help.

Regards
Vish
bumblebee27

Project Question: I am helping 2 kids in my school who are doing science project. One of them travelling to Asia for a 3 week vacation and they wanted to use the trip to compare things which could be different. I suggested to look into astronomy. Is there any other things to consider that one can do a experiment in 2 different countries and compare?

Postby heatherL » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:13 am

Hi Vish,

That is such great news! Congratulations on a job well done.

Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks Heather.

Also for next year one of my topic of interest was Pancreatic cancer. I thought it will be a nice start if I understand what it is and start reading about it so I can then think about some project ideas.

I see you have been mentoring on this subject as well. Let me know if you have any resource I should look up.

Regards

Vish
bumblebee27

Postby Hun » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Instead of Rice one of the many foods my daughter is testing is Whole Wheat Pasta vs White Pasts.
Is there a rule of thumb as to how much pasta and how much water to combine before mashing ? Or Blender?
Thank you

Also planning on testing fruits, veg, and juices.
Hun

Project Question: Sugar in Food
Project Due Date: 4/16/13
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Postby heatherL » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:28 am

Hi Vish,

bumblebee27 wrote:Also for next year one of my topic of interest was Pancreatic cancer. I thought it will be a nice start if I understand what it is and start reading about it so I can then think about some project ideas.

I see you have been mentoring on this subject as well. Let me know if you have any resource I should look up.

I love how you think ahead! I am a physiologist, but I do not have particular expertise in the topic of pancreatic cancer. The student I was mentoring did the Science Buddies project called The Cancer Genome Anatomy Project: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p011.shtml. There are a lot of resources available in the information provided for that project.

PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) is a wonderful resource for anything related to molecular biology. You can find everything from scientific articles to gene sequences.

I hope this helps you get started, and I would be happy to continue helping you along the way!

Best,
Heather
heatherL

Postby heatherL » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:35 am

Hello Hun,

Welcome to Science Buddies!

Hun wrote:Instead of Rice one of the many foods my daughter is testing is Whole Wheat Pasta vs White Pasts.
Is there a rule of thumb as to how much pasta and how much water to combine before mashing ? Or Blender?
Thank you

Also planning on testing fruits, veg, and juices.

Were you planning on doing the Science Buddies project "How Sweet It Is" (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p049.shtml) with these foods? Or did you want to test glycemic index? If you scroll through the earlier posts in this thread, you will see that testing glycemic index requires blood draws from human volunteers, whereas testing the glucose content of food is a simpler procedure.

The important thing when comparing foods is to pick a standard amount for comparison. With solid foods that you plan to mash or blend, you could start with the same wet mass (weight of the food with water in it, including cooked pasta). For the juices, you can compare the same volume.

I hope this helps you get started. Please post again if you have more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:01 am

Hi Heather,

Happy New Year!

For this year's science project we started on doing a project on Ultrasonic sensors , but we are running short in time and think we might not be able to complete it. Then we thought of extending the GI project. We have 2 ideas

1. See the effect of genetically modified foods and compare GI. We are not sure if we can get food that are labelled genetically modified in the .
Looking to use Rice, pasta etc similar to the foods we did last year.

2. The other option is to find the effect of GI on the same foods we did last time, but pair it with a constant amount of protein. Thinking about Fish.

We are more leaning to the second option. We would like to see what your suggestion is.

Regards
Vish
bumblebee27

Re: Test glucose content - Attention Heather

Postby bumblebee27 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi Heather,

I know this is an old topic and wanted to get your attention.

Earlier I posted that I am extending this project this . We today decided to modify what we want to try.

We would like to pickup one of the carbohydrate we tested earlier and combine that with different proteins

so thinking about
Carb+fish
Carb+chicken
Carb+lentils

Wanted to see if you have any suggestions

Regards
Vish
bumblebee27

Postby heatherL » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:58 am

Hi Vish,

So sorry for the delayed response. I was away at a conference and have been playing catch-up since I returned.

I think your idea for combining one of your carbohydrates with a protein is a really great idea!

bumblebee27 wrote:so thinking about
Carb+fish
Carb+chicken
Carb+lentils

Remember to include a control, by measuring the same carbohydrate alone.

Otherwise, I think this is a great plan. Any reason you are avoiding red meat here? I like the use of chicken, fish, and lentils (for a vegetarian/vegan option), but I think it would also be interesting to look at red meat. Of course, I only suggest this if it is not a problem to add another trial for your subjects. If 4 trials (control, fish, chicken, lentils) is as much as you are willing to inflict on your subjects, I think it's a well-rounded design and you will be good to go.

By the way, I wanted to address your other idea regarding the genetically modified foods. Honestly, I do not see any reason that genetically modified carbs should affect GI any differently than non-modified carbs. (The exception would be if they were specifically modified to exhibit a lower GI.) Most genetically modified foods are modified for pest resistance and/or flavor, which are genes that would not necessarily affect the GI. Basically, I think you picked the better project idea from the two you listed. (Again, sorry for taking so long to get back to you.)

Please keep me posted as you continue with this project! I really enjoyed helping you with the original project, and I am looking forward to seeing what happens with this one.

Best,
Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi Heather,
Thanks for the suggestion. We are going to use red meat as another protein and have a control. I will inform you on what we will be doing.

Do you have recommendation on how much protein we should add for each meal.

from,
Vish
bumblebee27

Postby bumblebee27 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:59 am

Hi Heather,

We started the experiment this weekend. When we researched we found the suggested quantity is 2:1 ( Carb : Protein) Ratio. So we are calculating 25gm of protein in the given food to add to the 50 gm of carb ( we are doing potatoes since it had the high GI).

Regards
Vish
bumblebee27

Postby heatherL » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:39 am

Hi Vish,

Sorry I missed your question about how much protein to add. I'm glad you found a suggested ratio! (I probably would have said that it is most important that you keep it constant and note the ratio.)

Please let me know how it goes!

Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your reply. We did experiment today using red meat and found each volunteer's blood sugar did better when they also eat protein.

I will keep you posted.

From,
Vish
bumblebee27

PreviousNext

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences