Test glucose content

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Re: Test glucose content

Postby heatherL » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Vish,

What an interesting result! I'm looking forward to hearing more when you complete more of the project.

Thanks for keeping me posted!

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby bumblebee27 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 am

Hi Heather,

We completed all our test. We did one with red meat, white meat, salmon and peanuts as source of protein.It is interesting to see that each individual reacted differently for the different proteins. Now we are thinking of a title. Our title right now is: Which protein reduces the GI of a carbohydrate?

Let us know if this is a good project.

Regards,
Vish
bumblebee27

Project Question: I am helping 2 kids in my school who are doing science project. One of them travelling to Asia for a 3 week vacation and they wanted to use the trip to compare things which could be different. I suggested to look into astronomy. Is there any other things to consider that one can do a experiment in 2 different countries and compare?
Project Due Date: Jan 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby heatherL » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:38 am

Hi Vish,

Glad to hear you have completed the project! Those are interesting results indeed. Did you find that pairing a carbohydrate with a protein reduced the GI in all cases, but the amount of the reduction differed among individuals? If so, you could make your title something like: "Which protein most reduces the glycemic index of a carbohydrate?" or "Individual variation in glycemic index reduction with protein pairing." I also like to start my titles with something catchy, followed by the more scientific version. For example, "To meat or not to meat... Which protein most reduces the glycemic index of a carbohydrate?" (Maybe you can come up with something a little less cheesy. :wink: )

Let me know if you need more help. Are you comfortable with how you plan to present your data?

Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks Heather,

We chose to use one of your suggested title.

We are planning to present the project showing the glucose response of each individual and also calculate the GI of potato and different proteins in our data and charts and write our conclusion based on it.

Do you have a suggestion on the calculations? Last year we did the graph manually on our lab books. My parents want us to see if we need to present the data professionally as it is done in Broadcom masters. I have seen some pictures of the projects on the web and wondering if that is appropriate for us.

Regards,
Vish
bumblebee27

Project Question: I am helping 2 kids in my school who are doing science project. One of them travelling to Asia for a 3 week vacation and they wanted to use the trip to compare things which could be different. I suggested to look into astronomy. Is there any other things to consider that one can do a experiment in 2 different countries and compare?

Postby bumblebee27 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:42 am

Hi Heather,

We are glad to share the news that our project won first place in the Regional Science Fair and is nominated for Broadcom Masters.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Looks like it is a different process to compete here. We are all excited and appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Regards
Vish
bumblebee27

Postby heatherL » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi Vish,

Congratulations! So glad to hear that you won first place. :D

Broadcom MASTERS is a national competition, and I understand you want to wanting to create a professional-looking presentation. You would be surprised at the kind of figures you can create in Microsoft Excel. If you tell me more about the data you have and what you want to do with it, I can give you more specific advice about your figures.

Overall, I recommend that you take a look at your supporting information (background, discussion) and make sure you have enough to tell a complete story. I also recommend thinking about the applications of your project as well as possible next steps, so you can answer questions the judges might have for you.

I hope that helps. Let me know if I can be of more help regarding your figures.

Best,
Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi Heather,

Sorry for not responding to you for a long time. I am almost done drafting my presentation for Broadcom masters and was wondering if I can send it to you to get a feedback.

Vish
bumblebee27

Postby heatherL » Mon May 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi Vish,

Very exciting! Science Buddies wants us to keep all of our communication in the forum. Can you upload your presentation as an attachment? (There is an option to do this below the message window.) If it is too big, you may need to upload it in sections.

Best,
Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks Heather.

I am not able to attach the zip file or the pdf due to it size.
bumblebee27

Postby bumblebee27 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi Heather,

I went ahead and submitted my application and my application is accepted. Sorry my one page pdf was still not accepted here in this forum due to its size. Since I was running short of time I went ahead and submitted.

Thanks for all your help.

I also wanted to get your advice on how to extend this project. I would like to collect a lot of data and was wondering how to accomplish it. I think doing some research project in a lab will also be helpful. Do you suggest any resource which allows 7th graders to do research?

Regards
Vish
bumblebee27

Postby heatherL » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Vish,

Sorry for my delayed response. Congratulations on submitting your application!

I think you have a very well designed project, and the important thing would be to improve your sample size (number of subjects) and to try doing some basic statistics (e.g., Analysis of Variance, ANOVA) to compare your results. I think performing statistics would improve the project more than extending or changing it further.

I do not know of any research labs that would allow 7th graders to do research. However, that does not mean there are none! My recommendation is to ask your science teacher if s/he knows of any such resources. I also recommend looking for local colleges and community colleges with research labs. A university will be more likely to have a research lab related to your interests (glycemic index and/or diabetes), but a community college might be more open to having younger students work in the lab. Opportunities definitely vary by region.

As always, please keep me posted.

Best,
Heather
heatherL

Previous

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences