Please help me ASAP!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Please help me ASAP!!!

Postby ssyu » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi, I'm up to my report now and i need some fun facts. i couldnt find any online. my topic is on visual search, with the targets and distractors. so can someone please give me some fun facts? thanks!
ssyu

Project Question: The topic i'm doing is will changing the amount of distractors affect someone from finding the target during a visual search? I downloaded the software that can help me run the tests and i have the results of all the tests.
Project Due Date: Jan 2nd, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Please help me ASAP!!!

Postby theborg » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:01 pm

ssyu,

Welcome to Science Buddies. I'm guessing by fun facts, you are interested in interesting anecdotal facts and/or studies corresponding to, or at least, related to your field of study. Hope this fits with what you're looking for...

20 Dec 2012, a new study was published that suggests Hunting Dragonflies show "selective attention" capabilities (i.e. tracking a single target among many distractions) previously observed only in primates. Here is a link to an article discussing it.

http://www.livescience.com/25849-dragon ... cells.html
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Please help me ASAP!!!

Postby ssyu » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Thank you! And sorry to bother you, but I have another problem. There are many theories as to how our brain works to find the target with the distractors. I searched for the theories online, but the websites i went to are too hard for me to understand. so can you explain the theories to me in simpler terms? thank you!
ssyu

Project Question: The topic i'm doing is will changing the amount of distractors affect someone from finding the target during a visual search? I downloaded the software that can help me run the tests and i have the results of all the tests.
Project Due Date: Jan 2nd, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences