HELP! What do I have the average of?!?!?!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

HELP! What do I have the average of?!?!?!

Postby youngscientist99 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:52 am

My project is "Are childproof containers really childproof?"

So far I have two tables with my data, but somewhere in there I need to make another one for averages. I know how to find averages, but not quite sure what I'm actually finding the average of. I wish I could post my tables so you could see them strait on, but it won't seem to let me.

For table 1 I have "Kid" on the left column (ex. kid 1, kid 2, etc.) On the top row I have container 1, container 2, and container 3. for each kid I marked Y or N whether they could open the container or not. My second table has "Number of kids able to open container after first try", "Number of kids able to open container by the end of the test", "Number of total kids able to open container by the end of the test", "Percent of kids able to open container after first try", "Percent of kids able to open container by the end of the test" and "Total percent of kids able to open container by the end of the test."

So again I'm trying to find averages, but I don't know if it would be the averages of the kids able to open the containers because to me that doesn't make sense or ....??????

I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone, but if you think you might be able to help PLEASE respond!!!
Thanks,
youngscientist99
youngscientist99

Project Question: My 8th grade science project question is "Are childproof containers really childproof" This idea was sparked from Sciencebuddies, but was changed to "make it my own". The purpose is to find the reliability of childproof containers to help keep children safe.
Project Due Date: 1/16/13
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: HELP! What do I have the average of?!?!?!

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Youngscientist,

Welcome to Science Buddies! It sounds like you did a variation of this excellent project on the Science Buddies website:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p047.shtml

You want to make your data very clear and understandable to anyone viewing your project board. If all of the kids were about the same age then, the simplest thing to do would be to make a bar graph and show the percentage of children that were able to remove the cap from each brand of pills. You can have two bar graphs; one for beginning of test and one for end of the test.

Your independent variable (the type of container) should be on the x-axis and the dependent variable (percentage of kids who could open the cap) should by on the y-axis.

Here is the information from the Science Buddies website on doing graphs and for preparing your display board.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ysis.shtml

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... oard.shtml

The Science Buddies site has useful information, but not a bar graph. The Wikipedia article includes an example of a bar chart. Starting with this example, you would put substitute brand of pills for the country and percentage of kids for the numbers. Is this clear?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_chart

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have questions.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi Youngscientist,

To get the number for your bar graph, you divide the number of kids who tried to open the cap into the number that were actually successful in opening the caps. If you tested 10 kids and 8 were able to open the cap, then your percentage would be 80%. You graph the type of cap on the x axis and the percentage of kids that opened the caps on the y axis.

. It looks like you have until Wednesday to complete the project, so if this is not clear, then please post your raw data immediately and I’ll respond tomorrow.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby youngscientist99 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks donnahardy2,

I understand how to find the percentage and I have my graphs, but I was wondering what I would find the average of. So I understand how to get an average, but don't know what I'm finding the average of. Does this make sense?
youngscientist99

Project Question: My 8th grade science project question is "Are childproof containers really childproof" This idea was sparked from Sciencebuddies, but was changed to "make it my own". The purpose is to find the reliability of childproof containers to help keep children safe.

Postby donnahardy2 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi youngscientist,

I don't know what you would average with your data. You are calculating percents for data analysis on this project.

For example, if 2/10 kids could open bottle caps at the beginning and 7/10 could open the caps at the end of the testing, then the percentage of students would increase from 20 to 70%.

Averages or mean values are used when you have a quantitative result from a number of tests and you add up all of the numbers and divide by the number of tests done. For example, if you measured the time that 5 students took to open the bottle caps, and the results were 2,3,4,5 and 6 seconds, then the average time would be 4 seconds. Since your answer is yes/no, there are no numbers to average.

However, I may not be understanding your problem, so please post your raw data, or tell me what numbers you have to work with.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby youngscientist99 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:33 pm

donnahardy2,

You are understanding completely fine. I thought there was nothing to find the average either, I just wanted to consult with an expert to make sure I wasn't looking past something. You answered my question though, so thank you for your time and help!!!

youngscientist99 :)
youngscientist99

Postby youngscientist99 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 pm

One more question Donna Hardy. I know it pretty specific, but I posted another post with interview questions titled "Questions for my science project interview" hoping that someone would respond. I am in trouble because the person I was supposed to interview for my 8th grade science project is not responding to any of my emails or calls and I was wondering if you would be able to tell ANY of your expert friends about my problem and the questions I have posted. I know it is a lot to ask since you don't know me at all and they are specific questions, but I am asking if you would know any body at all that would be able to help.

Here is the link to my post:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11328#p40381

Thanks again,
youngscientist99

P.S. I am really hoping that you will be able to help, but if not I understand. It is a lot to ask
youngscientist99

Postby donnahardy2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 am

Hi Young Scientist,

Thank-you for confirming that you don’t have any other data. It sounds to me like you understand what you are doing with the data analysis on this project.

Thanks for posting the link to your interview questions. You have written a very good questionnaire, however I think the problem is that no one who has viewed your questions considers themselves an expert on your topic. Science Buddies has lots of science experts, but perhaps we don’t any volunteers who are experts on your subject.

I’m a chemist, and certainly don’t feel qualified to give an expert opinion on child proof caps. Have you tried asking a pharmacist, someone who works in a hospital emergency room, or a packaging design engineer? Someone with day-to-day experience would give you a much better interview and would provide information that would be helpful in your discussion section. That’s the purpose of interview assignments in science projects; to get information that a real expert would have. And if you talk to someone in person, you get a lot more details.

However, I’ll check later, and try to provide some answers if no one else responds to your post.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby youngscientist99 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 am

Thank you Donna Hardy!!
The person that I was supposed to interview was a pharmasist and she just sent me her responces last night actually. Thanks again for your help!
youngscientist99 :) :) :)
youngscientist99

Postby donnahardy2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi,

That's great news! Good luck at the science fair. Please let us know what happens.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences