saltwater differences? swimming in acid:understanding ocean

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

saltwater differences? swimming in acid:understanding ocean

Postby pugpops » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 am

hi there, i'm new to sciencebuddies.org and have a question about the project: Swimming in Acid: Understanding Ocean Acidification. To do this project, it says to make your own saltwater by using Ocean Mix products, etc. if i have a saltwater aquarium fish tank at my house, can i just take out some of that water and use it for this project instead of mixing the Ocean Mix with regular tap water? thanks!
pugpops

Project Question: testing water
Project Due Date: May, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: saltwater differences? swimming in acid:understanding oc

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi,

Welcome to Science Buddies! I think you are doing this excellent project from the Science Buddies website:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... 13.shtml''

You can use any source of ocean water for this project. If there are no fish in the aquarium, then you could definitely use the aquarium water. However, if there are fish and plants established in the fish tank, I would be concerned about disturbing their equilibrium. Where did the water in the aquarium come from?

If you are close to an ocean, you could collect your water samples from the ocean.

The source of the water for this experiment if one of your controlled parameters, so should be identical for all of your samples.

Please post again in this topic if you have more questions.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences