HEEELLLPP!!!!!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

HEEELLLPP!!!!!!!

Postby sauska01 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 am

Hi,everyone

I'm half way through my project but my egg won't float??? Do I need to put hot/cold water, which one would be better for salt to dissolve completely because there was a hole a buch of salt at buttom of my 1 qt.? Is it because I probably put to much salt please help meeeeee!!??!?

sauska01
Last edited by sauska01 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sauska01

Project Question: I'm doing a project called How salty does the sea have to be for anegg to float? and I did the whole procedure and egg won't float in any of the cups. Could you help me out?
Project Due Date: April 5, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: HEEELLLPP!!!!!!!

Postby Jade 2 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Instructions:

Pour water into the glass until it is about half full.
Stir in lots of salt (about 6 tablespoons).
Carefully pour in plain water until the glass is nearly full (be careful to not disturb or mix the salty water with the plain water).
Gently lower the egg into the water and watch what happens.

and ordinary tap water is used for it
Jade 2

Project Question: i need an original idea something that has never been invented before that could help society?
Project Due Date: any time
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:28 am

Hi,

I think you are doing this excellent project from the Science Buddies website:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #procedure

You are on the right track for solving the problem; the salt will not float the egg unless it is dissolved in the water. Jade has given you some good advice that sounds like it was made from experience.

Did you use the full one cup of salt to a quart of water? This is a highest concentration for this experiment and will work as long as it is dissolved in the water. If you still have the original solution with undissolved salt, then stir the salt until it dissolves. All salts will dissolve more quickly in warm water compared to tap water, so if you have to start over, do heat the water first, or start with hot tap water.

Please post again in this topic if you have any more questions.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby sauska01 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi, Jade 2 and Donna Hardy

THHHAAAAKKK YOOUUU!!!!!!!!!! :D
sauska01

Project Question: I'm doing a project called How salty does the sea have to be for anegg to float? and I did the whole procedure and egg won't float in any of the cups. Could you help me out?
Project Due Date: April 5, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences