Antibiotic resistance

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Antibiotic resistance

Postby simone7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:11 pm

I was interested in doing the project on antibiotic resistance but wan't sure exactly how to approach it. I did a project last year on antibiotic resistance and triclosan. I wanted to continue in that same direction but I don't know what kind of experiment would be within my reach but at the same time a little more advanced than last year. I am interested in the antibiotic resistance in e. coli and s. epidermis but I don't know what kind of experiment I could do. I am just looking for some guidance as to what could be a possible idea within my interests.

Thanks, Simone :)
simone7

Project Question: Antibiotic resistance
Project Due Date: In a little over a month
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Antibiotic resistance

Postby heatherL » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Simone,

It's great that you have a topic of interest! Here are some Science Buddies project ideas to help you get started.

A general project regarding Antibiotic Resistance: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p021.shtml. You could compare the effectiveness of different antibiotics and how quickly the bacteria develop resistance to different antibiotics.

Do Different Dilutions of Disinfectants Affect the Development of Bacterial Resistance? http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p013.shtml

Measuring Antimicrobial Effectiveness with Zones of Inhibition: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p014.shtml

I hope these ideas help you get started. Please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions or need more guidance.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby simone7 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am interested in working on the first project you listed. So for that project would it be okay with using any bacteria, or does it need to be a specific type? Also, could I use the antibiotics tetracycline and penicillin, or do I need more antibiotics than that? Would I start by exposing the bacteria to amounts of the antibiotics lower than the amount necessary to build up it's resistance? Than, gradually increase the amounts of antibiotics and compare those zones of inhibition to that of the bacteria not exposed? Sorry for all the questions!!

Thanks, Simone:)
simone7

Postby heatherL » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:52 am

Hi Simone,

The first project idea ("Antibiotic Resistance") is an abbreviated project idea, so it is all about making it your own! You can use whichever bacteria you want, and I think comparing two antibiotics is a good idea. You will want to control as many variables as possible, so comparing two antibiotics on one species of bacteria is a good strategy.

Since this is an abbreviated project idea, it does not have a full procedure. (But make sure to look at the information regarding safety precautions.) To help you with the procedural details, look at the procedure for this project: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p013.shtml. That will help you with how to design the experiment (and how to do serial dilutions).

If you still have questions, feel free to post again. I am happy to help you! :)

Heather
heatherL

Postby simone7 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the help! I was wondering if it was a good idea to start on a concentration of antibiotic that is lower than what would kill the bacteria than increase the concentration? Also, I was wondering if there is a certain type of agar that I should use?

Thanks,
Simone
simone7

Postby heatherL » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi Simone,

Glad to help! Yes, it would be a good idea to start with a concentration that will not eliminate ALL the bacteria, so that you can continue to build resistance in some colonies. (If it wipes out everything, you will have no resistant colonies to use in the next generation!) Just make sure to use the same relative concentrations for both antibiotics.

Be sure to read the Microbiology Techniques & Troubleshooting guide for more information about culturing bacteria: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ques.shtml

The best agar for student experiments is typically your standard LB agar. You can read about the different agar types and what works best here: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... Agar.shtml

Best,
Heather
heatherL

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences