Please Help Its urgent

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Please Help Its urgent

Postby living environment » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Hello, im currently working on a dissolved oxygen vs temperature kit from science buddies. I am having trouble on getting my end color. I used distilled water to avoid chemicals from tap water effecting my project. I wash my equipment throughly after each use to avoid alteration and I follow the instructions carefully but get nothing. I was wondering if it had to do with the methylene blue because I never heard of using methylene blue in a dissolved oxygen test. I need some advice.Thank you for taking your time to read my message.
living environment

Project Question: Hello, I want to know why my end results are not turning into the end color. I used distilled water to avoid chemicals from the tap water but I still don't get results. I cleaned all my equipment throughly after each try but still get nothing. And I followed the directions carefully.I was wondering if it had something to do with the methylene blue because I never heard of using methylene blue on a dissolved oxygen test. I would be grateful if I got a quick response . Thank You.
Project Due Date: 2/30/13
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Please Help Its urgent

Postby k4gfwgerry » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:51 pm

May I suggest that you check out some advice from several experts regarding this experiment. You can see them at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11038&p=39373&hilit=dissolved+oxygen+vs+temperature+kit#p39373. I hope that may help.
Gerry Gruenbaum
Science Buddies "Ask an Expert" Volunteer
k4gfwgerry
Expert

Occupation: Retired Electronics Engineer from Motorola Solutions
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Please Help Its urgent

Postby amyc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi - In addition to the recent thread that another Expert pointed you to, I wanted to give you this url for another student that an Expert recently helped. In this thread, she asks a number of questions. Providing answers to some of those questions (here in your own thread) will help Experts further assist you:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11433

You will see that in her final post, Donna also suggests an alternative 1% starch solution for the methylene blue.

Also, when you view your samples, holding it up against a white background will greatly help as you evaluate and determine differences in color.

Please post back to this same thread with any additional information/questions.

Amy
Science Buddies
amyc
Site Admin

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: I just have one more question

Postby living environment » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Hello, I tried what you said(starch solution)but didn't get anywhere. I got close with the hot water without starch solution but I still didn't get anything.
living environment

Project Question: Hello, I want to know why my end results are not turning into the end color. I used distilled water to avoid chemicals from the tap water but I still don't get results. I cleaned all my equipment throughly after each try but still get nothing. And I followed the directions carefully.I was wondering if it had something to do with the methylene blue because I never heard of using methylene blue on a dissolved oxygen test. I would be grateful if I got a quick response . Thank You.
Project Due Date: 2/30/13
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences