Cannot Find Hurricane Data

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Cannot Find Hurricane Data

Postby AlisaG » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:43 pm

Please help us!
We started the science fair project called "Do Warmer Sea's Make Stronger Hurricanes" a few weeks ago, and has been pretty easy up untill last week. In the project we are asked to find the advances of 6 hour intervals, latitude, longitude, time, windspeed per hour, and stat(?) of over 40 hurricanes. So far, we can't find any of that for one! If possible, please help us [: We're starting to get nervous and would really appreciate if you tried.

Thank you so much!
AlisaG

Project Question: Please help us!
We are doing the science fair project
"Do warmer sea's make stronger hurricanes" and are having trouble on some parts of the data and charts. It says that we have to find the latitude, longitude, time, windspeed, pr?, stat?, and adv? of over 40 hurricanes and we cannot find any. We have been trying to find some for over a week, so we were wondering if you had any place to find it? Please help!

Thank you so much!
Project Due Date: 12th
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Cannot Find Hurricane Data

Postby staryl13 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi Alisa!
Sounds like a really cool project! Here are some links that will hopefully help you guys out-
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/index.html
http://maps.csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/index.jsp
Definitely check out the National Weather Service website if the above links don't give you the information you need. Best of luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
staryl13
Former Expert

Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby amyc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:14 am

Hi AlisaG - I'm posting a link here to the ScienceBuddies project you're working on so that experts can easily look back at what you're doing:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p005.shtml

(By the way - I noticed in step 3 of the Experimental Procedure, the 6-hour intervals are shown on the results screen under the ADV column.)

Amy
Science Buddies
amyc
Site Admin

Project Question: N/A

Postby Liliane » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi, my daughter is interested in the same topic, the topic due submision was this past Monday, the teacher was not so into it but she told her she can always change it if she finds something else.
my point is, isn't a study more than an experiment?
and also we should collect info about the hurricane stenght which i saw on some of the tables indicated under the topic, but i couldn't find the temperature that we should compare it to that strenght.
if anyone has done this project before, can he please provide some reviews on how was it and how well the kid did as far as the research and the grade?
thank you
Liliane

Project Question: Temperature effect on Magnet
Project Due Date: March 01, 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Postby heatherL » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:55 am

Hi Liliane,

I have not done this project, but I did want to lend support to your belief that a good study does not have to be strictly experimental. Some of the most important findings in science have come from the synthesis of data that were previously collected over a long period of time. Think about how we've come to understand climate change!

Check out the links posted by staryl13 and AmyC to help you find the variables (strength and temperature) you're looking for.

Please post back if you have more questions!

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences