science fair project - diet vs regular soda

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

science fair project - diet vs regular soda

Postby gianna » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:51 pm

I am doing a science fair project titled "Which soda has more fizz, diet or regular"? I reported the problem, hypothesis, materials, procedure, did my experiment, made a table and chart. I poured 4 ounces of diet and regular soda in each cup and timed how many seconds it took for the fizz to go away. I did this 3 times and recorded the results on a table and made a graph. I have to write my results and conclusion now. I have to write about the dependent variable and independent variable in my conclusion and need help with this. Does this sound like a good project or do you recommend anything else?
gianna

Project Question: Which soda produces more fizz, diet or regular
Project Due Date: January 10
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: science fair project - diet vs regular soda

Postby MelissaB » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:01 am

Hi,

I might have suggested trying to capture the amount of CO2 produced by each soda in a container, but maybe that can be a project for next year since it sounds like you're mostly done already! Good for you for completing your experiment. Science Buddies has an excellent write-up about variables; take a look at it and then if you still have questions, post back and we'll help you.

Sites about variables:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... test.shtml
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... bles.shtml
MelissaB

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences