CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby heatherL » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 am

Hi Medical-stuff,

Welcome to Science Buddies! Because each Expert usually checks the forums once a week, it typically takes 1-2 days to get a response to a post. Also, you posted in an existing thread, which did not alert Experts that you were a new user with new questions.

Medical-stuff wrote:Why is it taking so long for the Cancer Genome Anatomy Project website to Email me my information?!

I am not sure what you are expecting to see via e-mail. You can perform this project online through a website: http://cgap.nci.nih.gov/

Medical-stuff wrote:How do you do the hypothesis for the cancer genome anatomy project ????

If you scroll up to earlier in this thread, you will see that Donna Hardy answered a similar question about the hypothesis for this project:
donnahardy2 wrote:In this project you will be comparing the expression of genes in normal and cancer tissue, so you are looking for genes with higher expression levels compared to normal tissue.

Here is the information on the science buddies website for writing your hypothesis:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... esis.shtml

You can state your hypothesis something like: “if I compare gene expression in normal and cancer tissue, there will be a higher level of expression in cancer tissue.” And you can be more specific if you are looking at specific genes or types of cancer.


I hope this helps. Please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions.

Heather
heatherL
Moderator
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:59 pm
Occupation: Professor
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby Medical-stuff » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 pm

Here is the information on the science buddies website for writing your hypothesis:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... esis.shtml

You can state your hypothesis something like: “if I compare gene expression in normal and cancer tissue, there will be a higher level of expression in cancer tissue.” And you can be more specific if you are looking at specific genes or types of cancer. [/quote]

Wouldn't cancer tissues ALREADY have a higher expression over normal tissues?!
That's the part I don't get!
Medical-stuff
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm
Occupation: Student:8th grade
Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby heatherL » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:30 am

Hi Medical-stuff,

Medical-stuff wrote:Wouldn't cancer tissues ALREADY have a higher expression over normal tissues?!
That's the part I don't get!


It really depends on the gene. The problem with cancer cells is that they grow out of control. There could be an overexpression of genes associated with cell division, or there could be an underexpression of genes meant to stop cell division when space is limited. You can start by focusing on a single gene, and see whether that gene is overexpressed or underexpressed in cancer cells compared to normal cells.

Note that you are not causing the expression to happen. You are looking at what has already happened. So when you ask, "Wouldn't cancer tissues ALREADY have a higher expression over normal tissues?" the answer is yes (for overexpressed genes). That higher expression is exactly what you are measuring. Then you can look at what gene is being overexpressed in cancer cells, and see why that might cause cancer.

Heather
heatherL
Moderator
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:59 pm
Occupation: Professor
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby Medical-stuff » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:48 pm

heatherL wrote:Hi Medical-stuff,

Medical-stuff wrote:Wouldn't cancer tissues ALREADY have a higher expression over normal tissues?!
That's the part I don't get!


It really depends on the gene. The problem with cancer cells is that they grow out of control. There could be an overexpression of genes associated with cell division, or there could be an underexpression of genes meant to stop cell division when space is limited. You can start by focusing on a single gene, and see whether that gene is overexpressed or underexpressed in cancer cells compared to normal cells.

Note that you are not causing the expression to happen. You are looking at what has already happened. So when you ask, "Wouldn't cancer tissues ALREADY have a higher expression over normal tissues?" the answer is yes (for overexpressed genes). That higher expression is exactly what you are measuring. Then you can look at what gene is being overexpressed in cancer cells, and see why that might cause cancer.

Heather


So do you think that I should predict which two cancers I think will have similar genes that are over expressed for my hypothesis?
Medical-stuff
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm
Occupation: Student:8th grade
Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby heatherL » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi Medical-stuff,

Your exact hypothesis is really up to you. If you would like to compare two different cancers, that sounds like an interesting project. You can also see whether two different cancers have overexpression in the same organs.

Good luck!

Heather
heatherL
Moderator
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:59 pm
Occupation: Professor
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby Medical-stuff » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:35 pm

heatherL wrote:Hi Medical-stuff,

Your exact hypothesis is really up to you. If you would like to compare two different cancers, that sounds like an interesting project. You can also see whether two different cancers have overexpression in the same organs.

Good luck!

Heather


What do you mean "having an over expression in the SAME organ"?!
=_=?!
Medical-stuff
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm
Occupation: Student:8th grade
Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby Medical-stuff » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Medical-stuff wrote:
heatherL wrote:Hi Medical-stuff,

Your exact hypothesis is really up to you. If you would like to compare two different cancers, that sounds like an interesting project. You can also see whether two different cancers have overexpression in the same organs.

Good luck!

Heather


What do you mean "having an over expression in the SAME organ"?!
=_=?!

Please help me?!!!!!!!!!!i am doing hypothesis and materials and Procwdure TODAY so I really need a reply before 9:00pm!!!
PLEASE!!!
Medical-stuff
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm
Occupation: Student:8th grade
Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby Megara7 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Heather is given you some great advice and suggestions, and only she can really explain what she meant by that, but I think that she meant that instead of comparing overexpression of genes in different cancers, you might want to consider comparing whether or not the same genes are overexpressed in cancer in the same organ. I think the part that you are misunderstanding is that there is no one type of cancer in an organ. Lung cancer is a general term used to describe many different forms of cancer. Cancer at its simplest is an uncontrolled overgrowth of one type of cell, and since the lung is made up of many different types of cells, there can be many different forms of cancer. Cells are different because each type has a unique purpose, and they all work together to form a functioning organ. Each different type of cell, if it becomes cancerous, causes a different type of cancer (because the cells that cause them are different). Take for example, bronchioalviolar cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. Both of them occur in the lungs, but bronchioalviolar cell carcinoma occurs in the bronchial cells, while squamous cell carcinoma occurs in squamous cells. So, what I think that Heather was trying to suggest is that you compare the different genes that are overexpressed in two different cancers (bronchioalviolar cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma) that occur in the same organ (lung).

I just want to add that Heather, and all of the other experts, can't always respond before your deadlines because this is not our job, and no one asked us to do this. We all volunteer our time to help you, and all we ask for is a little patience in return. I hope you understand.

Thanks, and I hope I helped!

Meg :D
“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I’ve never met anybody who wasn’t important before.”
— The Eleventh Doctor
Megara7
Expert
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:06 pm
Occupation: Student: 11th grade
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby Medical-stuff » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Megara7 wrote:Heather is given you some great advice and suggestions, and only she can really explain what she meant by that, but I think that she meant that instead of comparing overexpression of genes in different cancers, you might want to consider comparing whether or not the same genes are overexpressed in cancer in the same organ. I think the part that you are misunderstanding is that there is no one type of cancer in an organ. Lung cancer is a general term used to describe many different forms of cancer. Cancer at its simplest is an uncontrolled overgrowth of one type of cell, and since the lung is made up of many different types of cells, there can be many different forms of cancer. Cells are different because each type has a unique purpose, and they all work together to form a functioning organ. Each different type of cell, if it becomes cancerous, causes a different type of cancer (because the cells that cause them are different). Take for example, bronchioalviolar cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. Both of them occur in the lungs, but bronchioalviolar cell carcinoma occurs in the bronchial cells, while squamous cell carcinoma occurs in squamous cells. So, what I think that Heather was trying to suggest is that you compare the different genes that are overexpressed in two different cancers (bronchioalviolar cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma) that occur in the same organ (lung).

I just want to add that Heather, and all of the other experts, can't always respond before your deadlines because this is not our job, and no one asked us to do this. We all volunteer our time to help you, and all we ask for is a little patience in return. I hope you understand.

Thanks, and I hope I helped!

Meg :D

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!you cleared up all my questions&had a very descriptive answer!!!!!but I have just one more question:how can I use the cancer genome anatomy project website for THAT cell?
Science buddies only gives me the way of how to use the website for pancreas cancer.....
Medical-stuff
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm
Occupation: Student:8th grade
Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby heatherL » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks, Meg, for stepping in while I was away. :)

Medical-stuff wrote:I have just one more question:how can I use the cancer genome anatomy project website for THAT cell?
Science buddies only gives me the way of how to use the website for pancreas cancer.....

The Science Buddies website gives you an example using the pancreas, but the Cancer Genome Anatomy Project website (http://cgap.nci.nih.gov/) allows you to compare the expression of genes for the same cancer in different organs, or to compare different types of cancer in the same organ.

Have you tried playing around on the website yet? I think that it will help for you to check out how the website works and try different things. In fact, playing around with different cancers, different organs, or different genes, might lead you to come up with a new hypothesis! Usually scientists base their hypotheses on their own observations, and then do an experiment to see whether their hypothesis is supported by the data. I suggest that you try out the website and see what you can do with it. Then we can help you hone your particular hypothesis and interpret the data you collect.

Cheers,
Heather
heatherL
Moderator
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:59 pm
Occupation: Professor
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby Medical-stuff » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Yes I have done that but I think I'm
Going to do what science buddies procedure is and improvise from that because I don't have a lot if time to finish I have about 1 or 2 weeks
Thank you so so so so so so much!!!!I'll come back with more questions later like graphing and result things...yah stuff like that.Bye:);)I'll be back!!!
Medical-stuff
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm
Occupation: Student:8th grade
Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby heatherL » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:24 pm

No problem. Glad you have a direction. Looking forward to your updates as the project progresses.

Heather
heatherL
Moderator
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:59 pm
Occupation: Professor
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby Medical-stuff » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:27 pm

I am still waiting for the cancer genome anayomy project website to send me my email!
It's taking FOREVER!:D
It usually comes at 9:12pm but I may come and ask questions at like 9:30-10
(Just to let you know!):);)
Medical-stuff
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm
Occupation: Student:8th grade
Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby Medical-stuff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Ok so does it have to be red in the normal part to be cancerous or does it have to be ok the cancer
Side and be red?-the cancer genome anatomy project :cry:
Medical-stuff
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm
Occupation: Student:8th grade
Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby Medical-stuff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi
Ok so for my hypothesis for the cancer genome anatomy project I have just learned that pancreas and stomach cancer have the most common over expressed genes

Now what I really need help is on creating a hypothesis for THAT!!!
Medical-stuff
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm
Occupation: Student:8th grade
Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

PreviousNext

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest