CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby heatherL » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:31 am

Hi Medical-stuff,

Medical-stuff wrote:Ok so does it have to be red in the normal part to be cancerous or does it have to be ok the cancer
Side and be red?

The red indicates an overexpression of the gene. There is a column for "Normal" and a column for "Cancer," which tells you whether there is cancer present. Blue indicates a normal expression of the gene, and red indicates an overexpression. The colors do not indicate whether there is cancer present; they are only about gene expression.

Medical-stuff wrote:Ok so for my hypothesis for the cancer genome anatomy project I have just learned that pancreas and stomach cancer have the most common over expressed genes

Now what I really need help is on creating a hypothesis for THAT!!!

I'm not clear on whether you are comparing different cancers or different genes here. Are you saying that many of the same genes are overexpressed in both pancreatic and stomach cancers? Compared to what? Other cancers? Other genes?

You could say something like, "I predict that pancreatic and stomach cancers will have more overlap in gene overexpression compared to lung cancer." Is that what you're trying to see?

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby Medical-stuff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 pm

heatherL wrote:Hi Medical-stuff,

Medical-stuff wrote:Ok so does it have to be red in the normal part to be cancerous or does it have to be ok the cancer
Side and be red?

The red indicates an overexpression of the gene. There is a column for "Normal" and a column for "Cancer," which tells you whether there is cancer present. Blue indicates a normal expression of the gene, and red indicates an overexpression. The colors do not indicate whether there is cancer present; they are only about gene expression.

Medical-stuff wrote:Ok so for my hypothesis for the cancer genome anatomy project I have just learned that pancreas and stomach cancer have the most common over expressed genes

Now what I really need help is on creating a hypothesis for THAT!!!

I'm not clear on whether you are comparing different cancers or different genes here. Are you saying that many of the same genes are overexpressed in both pancreatic and stomach cancers? Compared to what? Other cancers? Other genes?

You could say something like, "I predict that pancreatic and stomach cancers will have more overlap in gene overexpression compared to lung cancer." Is that what you're trying to see?

Heather

Ok
So first when u click on a gene then click the person picture,just like science buddies says,and then it shows to sides with it saying cancer and the other side normal if it is red I normal then is it over expressed in cancer or what?

Also
I'm saying that pancreas and stomach cancer both have common genes that are over expressed in cancer
Now I need help writing a hypothesis with THAT.
Medical-stuff

Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby Medical-stuff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Here is a guess at how my hypothesis CAN be:
I predict that since pancreas and stomach are close to each other in the body then they will have the same genes that are over expressed.
Correct?
Close?or wrong?
For:the cancer genome anatomy project
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby heatherL » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

Hi Medical-stuff,

Medical-stuff wrote:So first when u click on a gene then click the person picture,just like science buddies says,and then it shows to sides with it saying cancer and the other side normal if it is red I normal then is it over expressed in cancer or what?

Red means the gene is overexpressed. If it is red in the "Normal" column, that means the gene is overexpressed in that organ under normal conditions, or rather that the gene is under-expressed with cancer.

Medical-stuff wrote:I predict that since pancreas and stomach are close to each other in the body then they will have the same genes that are over expressed.
Correct?
Close?or wrong?

I can't tell you whether your hypothesis is right or wrong. Your data will tell you whether your hypothesis is supported! However, I can say that you should base your hypothesis on background research. I'm not sure that the close proximity of the two organs will necessarily mean that the genetic basis of their cancers will be related. If two organs serve similar functions, though, it means that they probably express a lot of similar genes. So it might make sense for two organs with similar functions to have similar gene (over)expression with cancer. Does that make sense?

Heather
heatherL

Postby Medical-stuff » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:39 pm

WOW!JUST WOW!you have just cleared up a world of mystery and wonder for me!!!!:D
You ARE THE BEST!!!I BET YOUR LIKE A SUPER SMART professor!
Thanks a lot heather!!!!mark my words though,I WILL BE BACK WITH EVEN MORE CONFUSION AS I GO.
Speaking of confusion,how would I do my data?i'm going to start a little more research after I do my health HOmework on endocrine system.
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby heatherL » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:45 pm

How you do your data will really depend on the question you're asking. If you decide to compare the stomach and pancreas, then you could record the number of overexpressed genes associated with cancer for each organ, noting when the same genes are overexpressed in both organs. You could see whether more genes are overexpressed with cancer compared to normal conditions, and whether the overexpressed genes are usually the same or different for the two organs. Once you have the data, we can talk about the best graphical way to present it...

Heather
heatherL

Postby Medical-stuff » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:24 am

Ok so I'm still stuck ok hypothesis apparently no websites talk about organs having same over expressed genes!!:p
Please help me with my hypothesis!
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby heatherL » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:22 am

Hi Medical-stuff,

Let's take a step back here. You need to decide what question you want to ask, and it does not have to be a complicated one. What first got you interested in this particular project? Are you trying to learn more about a particular kind of cancer, or are you curious about cancer in general?

I think it may be best for you to focus on one type of cancer (e.g., pancreatic OR stomach cancer), and to figure out which genes are overexpressed. Then you can find out more about those particular genes and their usual function in the cell. Your hypothesis could predict what kind of genes might be overexpressed in cancer cells. For example, you could hypothesize that genes associated with cell division would be overexpressed in cancer cells. There is definitely research out there regarding what genes are generally associated with certain cancers.

I really cannot write your hypothesis for you. You are the one who needs to come up with the research question that interests you. That's why I'm saying you should take a step back for a moment. Think about what made you curious about this project, and ask a question along those lines. What do you hope to learn by doing this project?

Heather
heatherL

Postby Medical-stuff » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Well I just did some more research and I found out that liver and pancreas both are sending digestive substances to the duodenum...
So I could say...
I hypothesize that the since the pancreas and the liver both are vitual for digesting substances to the duodenum then they will have similar overexpressed genes.

What about that one?
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby heatherL » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:05 pm

That sounds reasonable. And remember that it's perfectly okay if your hypothesis is not supported by the data. Sometimes you end up with even more interesting results than what you expected to find!

Good luck!
heatherL

Postby Medical-stuff » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Also how long should my hypothesis be?
What should I write about in my research paper?
How would I make my data graphs/tables?
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby Medical-stuff » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:10 pm

I hypothesize that since the pancreas and the liver have similar jobs of sending digestive substances to the duodenum them they will also have similar genes that are overexpressed.
Is this a better hypothesis or should I stick To my other one?
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby heatherL » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Your new hypothesis is well stated. Just remember to include cancer in your hypothesis: "I hypothesize that since the pancreas and the liver have similar jobs of sending digestive substances to the duodenum they will also have similar genes that are overexpressed when cancer develops."

The length of your hypothesis is not important, as long as it clearly states your predictions.

Here is the Science Buddies information about how to write your research paper:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... aper.shtml
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... _Paper.pdf

Here is a sample research paper:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... _paper.pdf

Here are tips for data analysis and presentation (graphs and tables):
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ysis.shtml
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... alysis.pdf

Heather
heatherL

Postby Medical-stuff » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi heather !!!
Ok well questions:
For my data would I make graphs showing a gene and how much it is overexpressed in cancer compared to it being under expressed in a normal body?
Also for hypothesis I don't really know what my controlled variable,independent and dependent variables would be.
Also for my research really what you are telling me is that I need to explain my project like tell about pancreas ,functions,pancreas cancer & lung,functions,lung cancer
And should my research paper have like after I finish my actual RESEARCH behind it ,for example,a paper telling materials used,then procedure,etc.?
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby Medical-stuff » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:52 am

Ummmm for my hypothesis do I explain what my hypothesis is trying to say and shy I chose it?
Medical-stuff

Also....

PreviousNext

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences