Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators
I am working on a science fair project to study the physical effects of energy drinks. I would like to know more about how caffeine and sugar affect heart rate and blood pressure. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:25 pm
- Occupation: Teacher: Middle school
- Project Question: Which energy drink increases your alertness the most?
- Project Due Date: May 31st 2012
- Project Status: I am conducting my research
Energy drinks can increase heart rate and blood pressure because it contains high level of sugar and caffeine. I found these two sites for you for your info.
I hope this helps.
- Former Expert
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:16 am
- Occupation: Student 10th Grade
- Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
- Project Due Date: March 1st
- Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data
It sounds like you are working on the background portion of your project. Jay has already given you some great information and a couple of good resources. Have you tried doing your own internet search? Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.com
) is a wonderful source for journal articles. In the mean time, a simple Google search will also lead you to some good sites. While Wikipedia is not considered a trusted site by itself, it often cites perfectly good references at the bottom of each article. Check it out!
If you are wondering about the effects of energy drinks on alterness, it sounds like you have a great idea for a project! Many studies have shown caffeine to enhance alertness in many people, but the results are mixed for sugar. Take a look at what you find in your background research, and post again if you have questions about designing or conducting your experiment.
- Posts: 748
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:59 pm
- Occupation: Professor
- Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
- Project Due Date: N/A
- Project Status: Not applicable
Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests