Got Iron?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Got Iron?

Postby yakimafresh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:52 pm

In reading the Got Iron? Variations topic, it said that I could use the test to determine the iron content of various sources of water: tap water, bottled water, distilled water, stream, lake and ocean waters. Do I use a 1:1 ratio of sample water to indicator solution? Is 5ml of sample water to 5ml of indicator solution OK, or should I use 15ml of sample water to 15ml of indicator solution? I'm not sure. Any advice would be most appreciated.
yakimafresh

Project Question: Determining the iron content of various sources of water: fountain, refrigerator, tap, bottled, distilled, stream, lake, ocean.
Project Due Date: March 15, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Got Iron?

Postby kgudger » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum:

As I read the experiment, you should add 1 packet of indicator to 5 mL of the test solution. In the original experiment, you made 30 ml of solution and indicator, and added iron to half of this solution.

In the experiment extension, you are testing water other than distilled. You would put 5 mL of the test water in the test tube and then add the indicator "pillow" directly to this test water. You do not make up "indicator solution" separately.

Keith
kgudger

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Got Iron?

Postby yakimafresh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:01 am

Thank you so much for your advice. I'll try it and let you know how it went.
yakimafresh

Project Question: Determining the iron content of various sources of water: fountain, refrigerator, tap, bottled, distilled, stream, lake, ocean.
Project Due Date: March 15, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science