At End of the Sun,Is it true of death of inner three planets

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

At End of the Sun,Is it true of death of inner three planets

Postby munnyastrophia123 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:16 am

I am doing an online project about "At the end of the sun there is a death for inner three planets" i.e.The Mercury,The Venus and The Earth.When Sun was dead ,it will change into Red gaint due to nuclear fuel burning in it.Then it will swallow the Mercury,the Venus and the Earth.Is it true? If it was true ,who had said about this? :?: :? Will my project be successful? Is this a project? :wink:
munnyastrophia123

Project Question: My project is about:The death Sun and end of the Mercury,The Venus and The Earth.My question is:Is it true?Who had said about this?Is my project correct and necessary?
Project Due Date: November 30
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: At End of the Sun,Is it true of death of inner three pla

Postby ChiaraB » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Hello,
The death of the Sun is an interesting topic. Only the assignment you received can tell you whether or not it is a "project." Science projects usually involve a problem or question to answer, a hypothesis of what you predict the answer will be, an experiment to test the hypothesis, and so on using the scientific method.
You are right about the Sun becoming a red giant. The Sun will go through the same process as other stars of its size. As the sun uses up its fuel, hydrogen, it gets hotter and larger. It becomes a red giant, then eventually a cloudy planetary nebula, then a white dwarf, then a dim black dwarf. This website provides a good summary: www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/sun/sundeath.shtml
Many sources agree that the Sun could become large enough to encompass Mercury, Venus, and Earth. Here is some information from HyperPhysics at Georgia State University that shows this theory: hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/redgia.html]
I wish you luck on your assignment. If you put time and effort into completing it, it will be successful!
ChiaraB
Expert

Project Question: Science Buddies Mentor
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby munnyastrophia123 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:19 am

Thank u sir :D .I am really thankful. From nearly 6 months I researched,but no result.Anyone or any website didn't helped me :cry: but u helped me at the same time plz do me this favour too :)

Can I use this as my project? Is this matter fit to do project? :?:
munnyastrophia123

Project Question: My project is about:The death Sun and end of the Mercury,The Venus and The Earth.My question is:Is it true?Who had said about this?Is my project correct and necessary?

Postby John Dreher » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:04 am

munnyastrophia123 wrote:Can I use this as my project? Is this matter fit to do project? :?:

I fear that this material is not well-suited to be a science fair project, since no experiment can be done with the equipment likely to be available to you. What you are reading is information gleaned from many, many scientific efforts. In addition, in astrophysics it is very often the case that the canonical hypothesis -> experiment -> conclusion process cannot be performed, since one cannot put a star into a laboratory. A modified (and less desirable) method must be used:
    1) observations of astronomical objects,
    2) finding patterns in the observed data that suggest rules connecting observable quantities, for example the color of a star and the size of certain spectral features in the light of a large sample of stars,
    3) a hypothetical explanation of the already observed rules based on the laws of physics and the properties of matter as determined in the laboratory on Earth,
    4) prediction of what new observations of different kinds of stars will show,
    5) falsification of the hypothetical explanation by the new observations or confirmation. If the observations of point 5) are consistent with the hypothetical explanation and no other explanations have been advanced, the explanation is tentatively accepted as true.
    6) If it also helps explain other observed phenomenon and/or explains even more new observations, belief in the correctness of the hypothesized explanation will solidify in the astrophysical community to the point that the explanations are presented as true in textbooks and other definitive references. Despite all that, even very well established explanations never reach the degree of certainty that can be achieved from laboratory work in other realms of science.
As you can see, this long, involved process does not lend itself to a science fair as well as things that you can do experiments on. An advanced student with access to a telescope with appropriate equipment might be able to acquire some new observational data and demonstrate that it is consistent (or not!) with the generally accepted body of astrophysical knowledge.
John Dreher
Expert

Occupation: Astronomer, Professor of Physics, SETI Researcher (retired)
Project Question: n/a

Postby munnyastrophia123 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:16 am

Ok,then.I can't use this as project,thank you sir for giving me clarification.Then please suggest any other better and best project in Astronomy or Astrophysics !!!!! PLEASE SIR :cry:

U R an Experienced Astronomer ,I like Astronomers so much..My Ambition is to become an famous Astronomer and an Astrophysisct.So please suggest me How to become an Astronomer?
munnyastrophia123

Postby John Dreher » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:30 pm

To find an astronomy project, try looking at the projects we have developed, here:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... nomy.shtml

These cover a vast range in background required, difficulty, and, frankly, quality. But I bet you can find something matched to your needs.

In order to become an astronomer you will need a PhD in astronomy, astrophysics, or physics. As your education progresses from high school to undergraduate studies to graduate studies the scope of your work will narrow in range and increase in level of expertise required. The level of competitiveness, alas, also increases. After obtaining a PhD, one typically spends 2-6 years as a "post-doc" before obtaining (if you are lucky) a more or less permanent post. Obtaining a faculty position at a research university is very difficult; consider that out of ~150,000,000 jobs in the US there are only ~1,000 astrophysics faculty at major research universities. There are maybe 1-2 thousand more positions at various research labs, especially at NASA. Currently the funding for astronomical research in the US is very tight and the future looks bad despite a plethora of new and exciting research tools and areas needing research. Maybe things will be better by the time you would need to be worrying about positions, but it is important that you enjoy being a student for the sake of the knowledge you gain since getting a research job has been and will continue to be pretty iffy. For the details of an astronomical career, just type "how do I become an astronomer" into Google and you will find lots of web pages providing salient information about all aspects of that topic.

Good luck with finding a fun project and beginning the long and interesting path to becoming an astronomer.
John Dreher
Expert

Occupation: Astronomer, Professor of Physics, SETI Researcher (retired)
Project Question: n/a

Postby munnyastrophia123 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:55 am

Thanx sir,but I didn't like any of those projects. :(

First of all I am in big confusion! :roll: Shall I use this as project? please say yes or no!

otherwise I am going to do this project: A lifespan of a star
please say about this if that topic doesn't use as project.

DOUBT: One scientist has advised me that I can show my real topic experimentally my calculations means CHANDRASEKHAR'S LIMIT or with an example.Is this right?
munnyastrophia123

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science