Deep knee bends

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Deep knee bends

Postby ash28 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi! I am conducting a science experiment similiar to the one here called Deep Knee Bends.
Im very confused about how to measure the amount of stress put onto the patella as the flexion and extension angles change. My teacher hasn't given us a due date for the project yet but help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
ash28

Project Question: The project that I am doing is titled "Deep Knee Bends" and it measeures the amount of stress put onto the knee by changing the extension and flexion angles. How do you measeure the amount of stress on the mechanical model?
Project Due Date: December 15th, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Deep knee bends

Postby Ray Trent » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:25 am

The procedure section of the project http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #procedure, shows the method for measuring the stress, which is basically to measure the length of the rubber band.

Hooke's Law is the description of how much force is applied by a spring, depending on how far the spring is extended. Basically the force is linear in extension, as long as you haven't reached the limitations of the materials.

However, all that this experiment does is measure the *relative* stresses on the knee, rather than the absolute level of force. In order to convert the length of the rubber band into something like Newtons of force, you'd have to independently measure the spring constant of the rubber band (or other spring) using some known weights.

Hope that helps. If you have a more specific question, don't hesitate to ask.
../ray\..
Ray Trent
Expert

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science