WATER SPLITTING PROJECT

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

WATER SPLITTING PROJECT

Postby vmehta » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:58 pm

I am right now conducting the experiment using the breadboard, voltmeter and 4 9V batteries alongwith wires. When I connect them to the voltmeter the reading show 31. I have discharged everything and reconnected but nothing happens. I also worked with the electrodes and spinning bar and the voltage did not decrease. I had tried this earlier and everything worked just fine giving me a data of 37 and voltage decreasing to 2 V but now when I am recording it no matter what I try it wont work.

Could you please guide me as to how can I get my readings.
vmehta

Project Question: I am doing the watersplitting project. I connected the breadboard to the voltmeter and the reading does not move from 31 at all. I have tried all connections many times do not know what went wrong. Can you help as I need to submit this for my science fair project.
Project Due Date: 11/06 (date of experiment and data)
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: WATER SPLITTING PROJECT

Postby vmehta » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:26 pm

I noticed that it does not matter if I do not put the resistor in as the reading will not budge with or without it.
vmehta

Project Question: I am doing the watersplitting project. I connected the breadboard to the voltmeter and the reading does not move from 31 at all. I have tried all connections many times do not know what went wrong. Can you help as I need to submit this for my science fair project.

Postby rmarz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:24 am

vmehta - What experiment are you doing? Is this from the Science Buddies Project Guide? Let me know so I can assist. Thanks.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby rmarz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:50 am

vmehta - I think I found the experiment - Water to Fuel to Water: The Fuel Cycle of the Future. Your 4 batteries, if fresh, should show about 37-39 volts if measured across the battery terminals when wired in series. The 10K ohm resistor limits the current in the loop to about 3.5 milliamps. With the meter reading the voltage across the solution electrodes you are looking for a stabilized voltage in the 1.5 to 3.0 volt range. You should get readings in this area. You say you originally measured about 31 volts but you also measured 37 volts. I don't understand that. Check your meter connection. Is the meter placed across the electrodes in solution, not on the battery side of the 10 k ohm resistor? Is your meter range properly set to say the 20 volts DC range when put across the solution electrodes? Could your batteries have discharged without your knowledge. Check the voltage of each one with the multimeter. Did you prepare the solution properly? This is a fairly simple experiment and you should get a very readable output.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Postby vmehta » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for your reply. The first time when we were trying it out it gave the reading 37 and then when we re did it it gives me 31. I have checked the battery each is 9V and is not discharged. I have still not reached the reading for the electrode solution. I am just at the stage where I connected the batteries and voltmeter to the breadboard and want the reading to read 37 but instead it is reading 31.

Question'

Is it important to have positive connection on one side and negative on the other side. ? The breadboard is the BB400 SOULDERLESS BREADBOARD which has the + and - sides.

Also the resistor is not making any difference in the reading ?

I redid everything right now and now the reading shows 32. I did not do the electrode part as it would mess up the reading for all purposes.

Thanks so much for helping.
vmehta

Postby rmarz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:36 pm

vmehta - I assume you are using a digital multimeter. They are certainly capable of 1% accuracy. Record the voltage read for each battery, including decimal values, such as 9.53 volts, then add the 4 voltages together. (I just happened to measure a new 9 V battery and my reading was 9.53 volts). Your total voltage would be about 38.12 volts DC. Now measure the voltage with the meter across all 4 batteries. It should be the same. Your initial measurement should be made just across the battery terminals, not across the anode and cathode plates of your cell. When you insert the electrodes into the solution, it will gradually stabilize to some voltage that is now measured across the electrodes, on the other side of the 10K ohm resistor. As the experiment suggests, that value will in the range of 2 volts. Your battery voltage of 38.12 volts equals the voltage dropped across the 10 K ohm resistor (about 36 volts) and across the cell (about 2 volts). Assuming your solderless breadboard isn't defective and having some very bad electrical connection, you should be OK. Make sure you are using the breadboard correctly. I think a schematic diagram would help you understand what is happening.
Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Postby vmehta » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Thank you for your reply. We will do the experiment as per your suggestion
vmehta

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science