History of the Atoms report

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

History of the Atoms report

Postby Sciencelove » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:36 am

Hello,
I am writing an essay on the history of atoms and I have to write about the works of Democritus, Dalton, Thomson, Rutherford and Chadwick and why their work was important in 2 pages with the arial 12 font.
The only problem is that I don't know how I should structure my essay and what websites should I look at.
Finally, since we are allowed to do only 2 pages and the MLA format bibliography need to be made on a separate piece of paper, as said on this website, what should I do?
Sciencelove

Project Question: Help for writing essays
Project Due Date: Monday 12Th November 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: History of the Atoms report

Postby wendellwiggins » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Hello Sciencelove,

Usually a teacher will provide guidelines for how to structure your report. If you are confused, ask questions of your teacher.

In general, a report should begin with an introduction that says what you are writing about and what material you intend to cover.
The body of the report gives the facts and events, explains how they relate to each other, what were the circumstances surrounding the discoveries and controversies, and what were the impacts of whatever happened. Given that you have only two pages, choose the most important things and explain and connect them.
Finally, give a summary. Point out how the entire content of your main section has affected the world and the people. Maybe mention what lies in the future.

Good luck, WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby Sciencelove » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:14 am

Thank-you very much!
Also, should I give my paragraphs a title (here it's just their name)?
Also, should my introduction be about what atoms where at Democritus' time?
Finally, how can I relate these paragraphs since they are about different things?
Sciencelove

Project Question: Help for writing essays
Project Due Date: Monday 12Th November 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby wendellwiggins » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:44 am

Sciencelove,

Single paragraphs don't usually have titles, but sections of several paragraphs on a topic could be titled if you wish. As noted before, be sure to follow teacher's instructions. Teachers understandably get irritated if you don't.

The introduction doesn't deal just with the first topic in the report. It "introduces" everything you will talk about.

The paragraphs deal with different details, but they are all about atoms. Let's say you have finished discussing Democritus' atoms and want to move on. The first sentence of the next paragraph might say something like, "Advances in understanding the nature of atoms came only when Chemistry began to provide some real data in the 18th ......" That sentence bridges the muticentury gap in which atoms were suspected, but little real information about their existence and properties existed. Of course, if you wish, you could write about what happened in atomism during those centuries in various societies.

WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science