Static Electricity Detector( HELP!!!!!!!!!!)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Static Electricity Detector( HELP!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby psain » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:39 pm

I tried to connect the circuit using the breadboard but the LED didn't glow. However when I didn't use the breadboard ( http://www.observationsblog.com/4/post/ ... -make.html) it glowed, I don't KNOW what's wrong, could it be the breadboard?
Phebz
psain

Project Question: Electric
Project Due Date: November 30
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Static Electricity Detector( HELP!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby rmarz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:29 pm

psain - Clearly there is a problem in using the breadboard, as you were able to get it to work wired directly. Are you following the instructions that came with the breadboard? There are rows of holes that are connected together, and adjacent rows that are insulated from other rows. The solderless breadboard makes it possible to easily join several wires together. Are you sure the 'gate' lead on the FET transistor is not touching anything else on the breadboard? Try another location on the breadboard and see if it operates with other rows and columns of connectors.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby wendellwiggins » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:52 am

Hello psain,

Please see this project description for more information.

As noted there,

"Field-effect transistors are normally on devices, meaning that with no negative electric field, they allow maximum current to flow. In the middle of the N-channel is a region of P-type semiconductor. Around the P-type material, there is a depletion zone. There are fewer electrons in the depletion zone, so the bigger the depletion zone is, the higher the resistance. In the presence of a negative electric field, the depletion zone gets bigger, the current is decreased, and so the LED on the circuit is turned off."

I think probably the gate had a negative charge when you first connected it. The LED came on after that charge had time to leak away. Try the detector after it has remained undisturbed for a while.

Good luck, WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Postby psain » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:09 pm

I tried all that and even got a new FET and it still doesn't work. :cry: :( :?
Phebz
psain

Project Question: Electric
Project Due Date: November 30
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Postby wendellwiggins » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:58 am

psain,

I performed this experiment and it worked as in the project description. Since there are many ways in which an experiment can fail, I can't pinpoint what's wrong with your setup. Here are a few ideas for testing

Check and double-check your circuit.

Be sure the battery is not dead.

Try a different transistor.

Review the project description to be sure you know what the circuit is supposed to do.

The breadboard is simply a convenient way to hoop up the circuit. If it works with another method of connecting the pieces, then use that method.

Good luck, WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science