centripetal force experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

centripetal force experiment

Postby rgdiermeier » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:51 am

has anyone tried to do the centripetal force experiment with the marble in the jello? my daughter tried it but the marble did not move. looking for advice on what to try next.
rgdiermeier

Project Question: my daughter tried to do the centripal force experiment with the jello and the marbles. on her first attempt, she made the jello according to the box and the marbles did not move at all. i saw something about maybe the jello could be too viscous and so she tried again by adding more water to the jello but it just seemed that when she added the second layer of jello, the marble did not stay in place. what can be done to try to make the project work?
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: centripetal force experiment

Postby kgudger » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums:

This sounds like a fun (and tasty) experiment. I noticed that the procedure states:
If your marbles will not move, then try the experiment again, making the Jello using more water so it will be less viscous.

You can also try to swing the marbles in the cups harder. I'm unclear from the procedure whether you should swing the cups around your head parallel to the floor or in a loop perpendicular to the floor. You might try the opposite of whichever you've done so far. You also might try this experiment with 'cold' Jello (just out of the refrigerator) and with warm Jello (which has been at room temperature for more than 30 minutes.)

Let us know what you find out!
Keith
kgudger

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science