Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.
Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators
I am doing a science fair.I am using neodymium magnets and glass tubes and I put drops of water and try and levitate them. But they wont move. Someone tell me why!
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:02 pm
- Occupation: Student: 8th grade
- Project Question: I am trying an experiment that involves trying to levitate water with neodymium magnets, we are using hard water and the water will not move no matter what we do, please help.
- Project Due Date: November 20
- Project Status: I am just starting
I think you are trying to use the diamagnetic property of water to levitate the droplet, but the diamagnetic force is small. I would need to know more detail about how you are trying to levitate the droplet.
Please provide a description of your experiment. Maybe your magnet isn't strong enough. Maybe the droplet is stuck to the glass tube. Maybe the solution you are using isn't strongly diamagnetic. Maybe something else.
If you are following an experiment design from the web, please supply a link.
Good luck, WW
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:48 pm
- Occupation: retired physicist
- Project Question: n/a
- Project Due Date: n/a
- Project Status: Not applicable
Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests