Supercooling water

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Supercooling water

Postby McCoy_22 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:46 pm

I have been working on supercooling tap & salt water for my 7th grade science project. I followed the procedure's listed on Science Buddies. You mention that the temperature should reach its freezing level in about 20 minutes. It has taken me 50 - 60 minutes to lower the water to 0C. What can I do to speed up this process.
Thank you,
Mccoy_22
McCoy_22

Project Question: Supercooling and Snap Freezing. Supercooled 3 types of water by following science buddies procedure . When I drop a piece of ice into supercooled water, it does not freeze . What am I doing wrong?
Project Due Date: December 5 second trial date. January is fair.
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Supercooling water

Postby theborg » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:44 am

McCoy_22,
Thanks for your question. Welcome to science buddies. These type of experiments can be kind of tricky. Here you are trying to manipulate the heat transfer and phase change property of the water. I have two suggestions.

First: What temperature is the water at the start? You can speed up the process by starting with water that has already been cooled part of the way in a refrigerator (don't let it get too close to 0 deg C).

Second: heat transfer from the water to the ice is affected by surface area. A tall skinny glass will present more area of water to the ice vs a short fat glass which would have more area presented to the air via the mouth of the glass.

Of course, I don't know your test setup. If you could provide more info about your experiment, that would help us provide better advice.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science