What is color compromised of? Need an expirement.

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

What is color compromised of? Need an expirement.

Postby Socrites » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:09 pm

I need an expirement for my project on, "What is color compromised of?" I have looked many places and I can not find an expirement that would aid me in my project. I need an answer by 11/26. Sorry for the short time.

-Socrites
Socrites

Project Question: My Topic Is: What is color compromised of?
Project Due Date: 1/7/13
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: What is color compromised of? Need an expirement.

Postby vysarge » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Hello Socrites,

This is an interesting topic, and there are a few ways to approach it that come immediately to mind.

Colors in paint and colors in light are somewhat different; paint gains its color from the fact that it reflects some colors and absorbs others, while light simply contains colors. This leads to a few interesting properties, though.

The basics of an experiment might involve shining lights of different colors on pigments or papers of different colors, and testing predictions on what colors will show; you could also shine light through colored filters, which work in essentially the same way. For example, you might predict that a red light shining on white paper would be red, or that a cyan light shining on red pigment would be blue- then, you could test those and find that only one was correct. Using these results, you could make your own theory of how different primary colors make up light and pigments.

You could also take ideas from one of these, as they also involve color composition: [here] and [here].

I hope this helped! Feel free to ask more questions if you're not sure about something.

Good luck,
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman
vysarge
Expert

Project Question: Student volunteer.
Project Due Date: N/a: see above.
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: What is color compromised of? Need an expirement.

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:47 am

Hi,

You do have an interesting project assignment. Vysarge has given you some really good ideas to get started and two project ideas from this website that give details for doing an experiment. Here are two additional project ideas; the first is intermediate in difficulty and the second is more advanced.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p008.shtml

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p073.shtml

Good luck!

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science