crystal growth - how it is affected by temperature

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

crystal growth - how it is affected by temperature

Postby GabrielDxxx » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:50 pm

I completed 3 trials - growing crystals of borax in ice water, refrig and room temp. My data includes temperatures of each, when first crystals formed on top of water, bottom of jar and on the string. I measured length and width of crystal formations on the strings and then measured size of crystals themselves. I need to summarize my data using graphs and I'm not sure what to put on them. Help me please. Data analysis is due at end of week and I don't know how to start. Thanks.
GabrielDxxx

Project Question: My project is about the best temperature to grow the largest, purest crystals using 20 Mule Team Borax
Project Due Date: December 4, 2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: crystal growth - how it is affected by temperature

Postby jmehta14 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi Gabrielle,
Your question is which temperature grows the best and the biggest crystal. So, the independent variable here is the different temperature and the dependant variable is the size of the crystal. How about a line graph with temperature and the size of the crystal that are formed on the string.This data will help you explain your hypothesis and your experiment. You can also use the temperature you recorded when the first crystals formed on top of the water, bottom of the jar and on the string to explain your observation and analysis of data in detail. I hope this helps.
Take care,
jay.
jmehta14
Expert

Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st

Re: crystal growth - how it is affected by temperature

Postby GabrielDxxx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:20 am

Thank you so much for your reply. I had figured that out already after I calmed down. You know how it is when you get overwhelmed and everything was a blur. Thanks
GabrielDxxx

Project Question: My project is about the best temperature to grow the largest, purest crystals using 20 Mule Team Borax
Project Due Date: December 4, 2012

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science