Blowing Bottletops

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Blowing Bottletops

Postby shrutibose » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Can the blowing bottletops experiment be modified and used to prove that the length, thickness or flexibility of the vocal cords can effect the pitch of singing? Are vocal cords examples of closed end air columns?
shrutibose

Project Question: Can the blowing bottletops experiment be used to prove that different vocal cord legnths, thicknesss or elasticity can produce different pitches? Are vocal cords similar to closed end air columns?
Project Due Date: 12/12/12, initial draft is due. Science fair is in february 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Blowing Bottletops

Postby Ray Trent » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 pm

I don't see any immediately obvious correlation between an open air column and vocal cords. Vocal cords work much more like how a wind instrument works, by have the parts of the vocal cords vibrate against each other alternately allowing air through and building up pressure for the next cycle. A kazoo or air blown over a rubber band on a cup would be a much closer experiment.

Unfortunately, I can't find an experiment here on Science Buddies about the rubber band experiment. There is one here: http://www.challengerlearningcenter.com ... eSound.pdf that seems to be similar to what you're looking for.
../ray\..
Ray Trent
Expert

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science