Example for Sun's death....fast!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Example for Sun's death....fast!

Postby munnyastrophia123 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:36 am

My science fair admin advised me that I can show this project :The Sun's Death and Mercury,Venus and Earth,experimentally by taking an example and said that i can find the example in google search.But i can't find it in Google search.please help me to find an example and if anyone know an example please....say me! :) and explain that briefly....please :wink: :) and THANKS for those people who had posted replies and helps in my previous posts and Merry Christmas to all...... :D
munnyastrophia123

Project Question: My project is about:The death Sun and end of the Mercury,The Venus and The Earth.My question is:Is it true?Who had said about this?Is my project correct and necessary?
Project Due Date: November 30
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Example for Sun's death....fast!

Postby DharmanKothari » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi,

The problem here is what do you mean by "show experimentally by taking an example."

-If you meant astronomical examples of this happening to other sun-like stars in space, you would have to search things like "red giants" and "planetary nebulas" and the like for more information.

-If you wanted to know if you can perform experiments that mimic the death of the sun, then no, we have not achieved sustained, controlled thermonuclear fusion which is what powers our sun. Since we cannot create the process that creates the stars, we cannot "experimentally" mimic the death of the sun this way.

-If you wanted to show by mimicking what most scientist believe will happen to the sun based on observations from similar stars in space (which I guess is what you are going for since I am pretty sure that you do not have access to fusion reactors) then my suggestion would be to get a fish tank (or something similar), a balloon, an air pump, some glitter and some clay and some sticks.

Add some glitter to the balloon and have it attached to the air pump in the center of the tank. Use the clay to make round "planets" at the end of the sticks. Place "Mercury" really close to the balloon (your sun), then Venus , then Earth etc. Then turn on your air pump and watch the balloon (sun) "gobble up" the planets one-by-one. Finally let your balloon (sun) burst (by pricking it) inside the tank spreading glitter (stardust) in your space (fish tank).

What this demo does is illustrate the red giant and planetary nebula phase of the sun.

For more information on the physics of the suns death you can check out this site
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/sun/sundeath.shtml
The information is presented in an easy language so you should have no trouble following along.

Also if you do decide to do the demo in your project make sure that the balloon is big enough to gobble all the inner planets. You can also personalize it by having a red balloon (red giant sun) and different colored planets (Mars=Red, Earth = Green/Blue) for "coolness" points.

Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.
Dharman Kothari
Volunteer Expert
Science Buddies
DharmanKothari
Expert

Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby munnyastrophia123 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:02 am

THANK U SO MUCH FOR THE HELP :D .I think it works.But first I have to complete my research .Will u help me to do that? please sir....
munnyastrophia123

Project Question: My project is about:The death Sun and end of the Mercury,The Venus and The Earth.My question is:Is it true?Who had said about this?Is my project correct and necessary?
Project Due Date: November 30
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby wendellwiggins » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:47 am

munnyastrophia123,

For the first time in reading your posts I think I understand that you are looking for an example of how the sun will die. This is quite possible to find. I think your teacher is asking you to research for a star like the sun that has died. Use that star as an example of how the sun will die. Explain how the sun and other star are similar and why the sun will suffer the same fate. Explain why stars that are different die in different ways.

I hope this helps, WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science