Sun Spot vs CME

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Sun Spot vs CME

Postby Pmaeda » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:14 pm

My 11 year old is graphing the relationship, if any, between the # of CMEs and sun spots during the same time periods. On the SOHO LASCO CME catalog website does "poor event", "Only C2" and "partial halo" each count as one CME for graphing purposes?
Pmaeda

Project Question: My child wants to do a science fair project combining corrosion and a home made wind tunnel
Project Due Date: June 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Sun Spot vs CME

Postby theborg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:40 pm

Pmaeda,

Thank you for your question, and welcome to Science Buddies. In the database, I'm assuming you are referencing items in the notes column. Each item counts as a CME. These are notes pertaining to how the data was obtained and/or the quality of the data. Events that are difficult to distinguish from other events or are hard to detect are classed as "poor". The LASCO instrument has 3 telescopes, C1, C2, C3. C1 has been disabled, and no longer provides data. An event that is "C2 only" means it was captured by only one detector and lacks sterio detection, reducing the quality of some calculations.

Bottom line, CME vs sun spot correlations shouldn't be affected by these notes.

For more information, this link provides a fairly detailed description of the CME cataloge. http://cdaw.gsfc.nasa.gov/CME_list/cata ... iption.htm
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science