Roller Coaster Marbles: How Much Height to Loop the Loop? ?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Roller Coaster Marbles: How Much Height to Loop the Loop? ?

Postby jkbetts » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:10 am

We are struggling with presenting a "data chart" to accompany this experiment with our daughters science project. Do you have any advice for what information or type of graph / data chart might be best to accompany this? Thank you in advance. Jason K. Betts
jkbetts

Project Question: Roller coaster marble, how much height to loop the loop experiment. We are struggling with presenting a "data chart" to accompany this experiment with our daughters science project. Do you have any advice for what information or type of graph / data chart might be best to accompany this? Thank you in advance. Jason K. Betts
Project Due Date: Tomorrow : ( Yes, I know VERY late asking this question, sorry.
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Roller Coaster Marbles: How Much Height to Loop the Loop

Postby dcnick96 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Hello, and welcome to Science Buddies! What a fun project.

In any science experiment, you want to graph the results of what you are investigating, or changing during the course of the experiment. In this case, you are changing the height (rise) of the initial track, correct? Did she do the experiment 10 times at each height? Did she come to a conclusion as to the minimum height required for the marble to negotiate the loop most of the time?

If she did multiple heights, perhaps reporting how many times at each height the marble successfully navigated the loop. A bar graph is great for this. Don't forget to report on the chart the diameter of your loop, as another student doing the same project with a different diameter could have different results.

I hope this helps. Feel free to write back with more questions. Good luck!
Deana
dcnick96

Postby Liliane » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi,
my 6th grade daughter is doing a similar project to this on how much potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. I have couple of questions:
1) I don't understand the part of the masonite shaped as V with the 5-10 cm colored striped to measure the traveled distance. If you have a picture or sketch or a figure, please show it. My thought is to let the marble roll down the entire track, with knowing the total length of the track. the use of the masonite piece sounds like interrupting the track at different points to measure the traveled distance, which i don't understand how to interrupt it and connect it with the wood piece.
2) to calculate the velocity of the marble: is it the distance traveled in meters multiplied by the time in seconds? Do all the measurements have to be metric?
3) Is the whole purpose of this experiment that the Kinetic energy will be always less than the Potential energy as some of the energy will be lost due to friction, wind, sound, vibration of track...etc.
4) when I do a chart, do I compare the kinetic energy to the height, as I am planning on doing it at different heights, showing the potential energy value at the top of the chart as a constant value.
Your feed back is greatly appreciated.
Liliane

Project Question: Temperature effect on Magnet
Project Due Date: March 01, 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Postby wendellwiggins » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:43 pm

Hello Liliane,

I think you are following the project description at "Roller Coaster Marbles: Converting Potential Energy to Kinetic Energy."

As I understand the instructions, you are expected to put the vee-shaped piece of track horizontally just after the loop so that you can measure the speed of the marble after the loop. I don't think you are expected to move it to different places. It would be important to line it up so that the marble rolls smoothly across the junction.

The idea is to cut two long strips of masonite and glue them together lengthwise to make a vee-shaped track. This is likely to be tricky unless you are skilled at such work. An easier way would be to visit the hardware section of your local building-supply store. You'll find long strips of vee-shaped aluminum ready to use for your track. You'll just need to make some way to anchor it at the end of the loop.

I think using the video camera to measure the speed of the marble is a much better idea than using a stopwatch. The time will be short, and your measurement error is likely to be pretty large compared to the actual time.

Good luck, WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby Liliane » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:05 am

Thank you so much for your fast response, I thought about it yesterday, and what I will do is, I will measure the length of the track by a flexible measuring tape, going along the track and try to get the circumference of the loop. I still don't get how the masonite piece will help in measuring the distance, I will try the video tape and the stop watch and compare the accuracy of each way.
I really appreciate your prompt assistance.
Thank you,
Liliane

Project Question: Temperature effect on Magnet
Project Due Date: March 01, 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science