SPEED OF LIGHT IN A MIRCOWAVE (HELP PLEASE!!!!!)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

SPEED OF LIGHT IN A MIRCOWAVE (HELP PLEASE!!!!!)

Postby claudiajacinto » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:31 pm

okay so im dong the find the speed of light with a microwave and it says to take the rotating plate out and the drive mechanism out too. then it says to crack an egg and place it on a plate and cook for 10 seconds. but when i turned the microwave on without anything in it it started like flashing inside like it was gonna burst so i just turned it off. so what should i do?
claudiajacinto

Project Question: okay so im dong the find the speed of light with a microwave and it says to take the rotating plate out and the drive mechanism out too. then it says to crack an egg and place it on a plate and cook for 10 seconds. but when i turned the microwave on without anything in it it started like flashing inside like it was gonna burst so i just turned it off. so what should i do?
Project Due Date: 1/7/12
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: SPEED OF LIGHT IN A MIRCOWAVE (HELP PLEASE!!!!!)

Postby claudiajacinto » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:30 pm

please help! i really need help asap!
claudiajacinto

Project Question: okay so im dong the find the speed of light with a microwave and it says to take the rotating plate out and the drive mechanism out too. then it says to crack an egg and place it on a plate and cook for 10 seconds. but when i turned the microwave on without anything in it it started like flashing inside like it was gonna burst so i just turned it off. so what should i do?
Project Due Date: 1/7/12
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: SPEED OF LIGHT IN A MIRCOWAVE (HELP PLEASE!!!!!)

Postby rmarz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 am

claudiajacinto - The reason for the rotating tray in the microwave oven is to evenly distribute the microwave radiation throughout the food you are heating. We need to defeat that part of the process (we don't want even heating). We want the egg to be exposed to higher and lower energy regions that will enable us to physically measure the distance between the cooked versus non-cooked parts of the egg. That measurement will coincide with the wavelength of the radiation and allow us to derive the speed of light.

I'm concerned that you said the instructions were to remove the revolving tray, and the drive mechanism. I'm worried about the flashing you observed. Hopefully you didn't remove anything but the revolving tray and used a non-metallic plate for the egg. Flashing shouldn't occur with just an egg and non-metallic item in the oven. Before you continue, verify that the oven hasn't been compromised. This is a good time to call some independent eyes (maybe a parent) into the process. Good luck, but be safe.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science