I am doing a project on here that is not working procedure wise. It's "Presto! From Black to Clear with the Magic of Photochemistry". I did a test run of the experiment, but the solution did not change color, even after a few days. At first, I thought that the problem was that I didn't let the oxalic acid crystals dissolve. But that was because they just weren't dissolving, even after half an hour. So in the next test run, I found that I could get the crystals to dissolve under hot water. I ran the experiment that way, and it was better. It started out darker than the last testrun, and did get light. Yet, it kind of froze at just a lighter shade of orange, when it's supposed to be almost clear. I e-mailed a chemist for suggestions on how to make it work, and I did her suggestions, and yet, it still didn't change color. I tried adding more oxalic acid, putting it directly under a light, and heating up the solution before putting in the iodine. I tried all different combinations of these, and yet they still didn't work. They just stayed the same color. I am running out of ideas on how to make this work.
This is my equation for the experiment:
2 (NH4)+ + C2O4- + I2 → 2 (NH4)+ + 2 I- + 2 CO2
(NH4)+ = Ammonium ion
C2O4- = Oxalate ion
I2 = Iodine (orange to black)
I- = Iodide ion (colorless)
CO2 = Carbon dioxide
If there are any questions about the procedure, please go to the science buddies page of this experiment. I'm practically doing the same procedure.
*NOTE: I am actually in 8th grade, and am not doing the project it says im doing anymore. I can't figure out how to change it.