Need Help with Project!!! Quick!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Need Help with Project!!! Quick!!!

Postby MythineX » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm doing the Mixing Light to Make Color project, but when I mix the lights, the colors won't blend. Like, if you mix blue with red, you can still see the blue and red separate. I need suggestions quick! I need to send pics to my teacher TODAY and is due Monday!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
MythineX

Project Question: Mixing Light to Make Colors. Here for the issue for the light not mixing.
Project Due Date: Must send pics TODAY!!! Due Monday!!!
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Need Help with Project!!! Quick!!!

Postby vysarge » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello, MythineX!

The first thing that I'd recommend doing is making sure that you're following the procedure closely. Sometimes in science, simple mistakes can cause an experiment to not work correctly; these are easy to catch with a quick review, though.

For this experiment specifically, I have a few suggestions. First, I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say that mixing red and blue doesn't cause any change- there should be a different color where the two beams cross, though the colors outside of that area will still be different. Pointing flashlights of different colors at a spot should produce an effect like the one in this picture:

What exactly are you seeing where you cross the flashlights? And when you shine one flashlight on white paper by itself, does it show the correct color?

Good luck, and hope this helped a little!
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman
vysarge
Expert

Project Question: Student volunteer.
Project Due Date: N/a: see above.
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby MythineX » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:06 pm

I got it, it depends on the flasklight. The flashlights I used emited a pinch of yellow, which distrupted the entire color mixing experiment. I got new Coleman flashlights with 10 lumex, works (almost) fine!
Thank you.
MythineX

Project Question: Mixing Light to Make Colors. Here for the issue for the light not mixing.
Project Due Date: Must send pics TODAY!!! Due Monday!!!
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Postby vysarge » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:17 am

Great! I'm glad it worked. If you have any more questions, just ask!
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman
vysarge
Expert

Project Question: Student volunteer.
Project Due Date: N/a: see above.
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science