friction

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

friction

Postby silverlouis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:21 pm

My son is doing his science fair project on friction. Besides youtube-watching to learn things, wondering where he could go (both on internet and a physical place or an expert person) to learn by watching or asking questions? His initial thought was "how does friction on different surfaces affect a cars movement". He is just starting his research and i was hoping for recommendations of where he could find out more on friction to gain a better understanding on his chosen topic.
silverlouis

Project Question: friction
Project Due Date: march 20, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: friction

Postby ChiaraB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Hello,
If your son simply wants to learn more about friction on roads, here are some informative links:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/frictire.html
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/about-this-show/rolling-friction-hydroplaning.htm
http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF8/843.html
It is difficult to recommend a place or a person, but I would suggest that your son ask the science teachers at his school for help.

This topic raises a concern. Science projects involve performing experiments and collecting data based on those experiments. An experiment involving a real car would be very dangerous. Did you have a different idea on how to observe the effects of friction? This very website has many project ideas related to friction if you are interested:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/search.shtml?q=friction%2Binurl%3Aproject_ideas+&sa=Search&limitSearch=%2Binurl%3Aproject_ideas&endYear=+&cof=FORID%3A9&cx=006938645102073751460%3A5g77bgclmby

I hope this is helpful, please write back if you have any more questions.
ChiaraB
Expert

Project Question: Science Buddies Mentor
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby theborg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Additionally, the Effects of Friction on Objects in Motion project at the science buddies link provided above has additional resource listings and links under the background section that includes lots of info on friction. The project itself is an excellent one for a 6th grader.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A

Postby silverlouis » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:07 pm

Thank you for the links. Regarding the experiments he was going to use toy cars. Hopefully they will reflect results similar to real car experiments. I appreciate the additional information and wm thankful for this site. Also thanks for noting it was a good project for a 6th grader. I was uncertain if he picked something that might be too involved for his grade level and am glad it is an age appropriate topic. Thank you for being there and answering.
silverlouis

Project Question: friction
Project Due Date: march 20, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby theborg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 pm

silverlouis,

I'm glad the advice we provided helped. I think a modified version of the experiment using toy cars is interesting and a good idea. Just be sure that if the car wheels leave the ground at any time during a run, that run is invalid and should be redone. Obviously, if the wheels are not in contact with your test surface then there is no friction caused by that surface. Also, if you use a track of some sort, many of them have sides. Try to ensure the only contact you have over the test surface is between the car wheels and the test surface. Any contact with any part of the car on anything other than wheel contact with the test surface will generage additional friction and skew your results.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science