How does temerature affect the reaction time of Alka Seltzer

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

How does temerature affect the reaction time of Alka Seltzer

Postby Snooper2U » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:37 pm

In conducting this experiment, my son hypothesized that the hot tap water would create a quicker reaction time of the alka seltzer dissolving due to the increase in kinetic energy. He found this to be true after testing hot tap water, cold tap water, and ice water; however, when he decided to try it with boiling water, the reaction time was slower than regular hot tap water, but faster than the other temperatures. We aer unsure how he should explain this result. Please advise. Project is due Feb 6th
Snooper2U

Project Question: What Makes Ice Melt Faster? When you measure the mass of the initial cube? Do you measure it before and/or the solute is added as the mass will be different? Which should be used? This also comes into play as the student must measure the mass of the ice cube remaining (which also contains the solute (i.e. salt, sand, pepper, etc...) Please advise which is the proper method to use.
Project Due Date: February 6, 2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: How does temerature affect the reaction time of Alka Sel

Postby ChiaraB » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Hello,
The Alka-Seltzer website provides one answer to your question: http://www.alka-seltzer.com/asp/faqs.html#q15
If you saw that the tablet was floating at the top as the answer suggested, not all of the tablet's surface was in contact with the water and that explains the longer reaction time. Chemical reactions happen faster when there is more surface area in contact between the reactants.
ChiaraB
Expert

Project Question: Science Buddies Mentor
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How does temerature affect the reaction time of Alka Sel

Postby Goldenzenith » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Snooper2U,

ChiaraB brings up a good point. I just want to add that you could even refer to the surface area explanation as a source of error since it led to an unintentional variable. The only variable you were testing, from what I read, was the temperature of the water, so be sure to clarify that!
Need an idea or some inspiration?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Want to read up on awesome projects and science/math-related news?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/index.php

Enjoy! :D
-RM, Expert
Goldenzenith
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science