Stain Removal Science fair project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Stain Removal Science fair project

Postby eantoff » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:26 pm

I need to know if youthink testing stain removers is too easy for an eighth grader? NEED TO KNOW :idea: :!:
Emily Antoff
eantoff

Postby zzzzdoc » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:59 pm

Personal opinion - A basic product comparison of A vs. B would probably be too simple. If you chose an individual chemical in the stain remover and judged how the concentration of that chemical affected the stain removal - better. It still might be a little simple for the judges.

Have you asked your science teacher for his/her opinion?
Alan Lichtenstein, MD
Anesthesiologist

Mens et manus
Veritas

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
zzzzdoc
Former Expert

Postby carolinethorn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:53 am

Or you could have more variables with the composition of the stain - protein based stains, fat based stains, inorganic stains. And figure out why a particular product might work better on different types of stains.

There are also a number of old wives tales/folklore remedies about what you should do to remove certain types of stains - you could examine the molecular basis for this. For example, my mother told me that cold milk was the best way to get blood stain from a white shirt. Why might this work and what kind of molecules would be involved?

Best of luck,
-Caroline
carolinethorn
Former Expert

Re: Stain Removal Science fair project

Postby marknoble » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:43 pm

I think this project maybe suited for my son in grade 4. As it will allow him to document the stains and the cleaning process followed.
[url=http://coastalcarpetinspectors.com/]http://coastalcarpetinspectors.com/[/url]
marknoble

Project Question: Grade 4 son needs to complete a science project - next term. Still findout out details on what the project will be.
Project Due Date: Start of Auguist 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science