pH test strips

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

pH test strips

Postby fleming37 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:47 am

I have to test the pH levels in 3 different brands of purple liquid fabric dye. I am assuming that the most acidic dye will bring out the most vibrant color in fabric. I am using strips of white t shirt and dipping it into the different brands of dye. I don't know where to find test strips to test the pH level in the dyes. The strips I have found would not work because the dye would turn the strips purple. Does anyone have any ideas?
fleming37

Project Question: What measurement do you use to test the vibrancy of fabric dye colors (all the same colors, but different manufacturers)
Project Due Date: 10/4/09
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: pH test strips

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:06 am

Hi Fleming,

This is a very interesting problem. pH strips are all based on a color change of the indicator dye that is contained in the paper. Your purple dye will always interfere with the reading on any type of pH paper. You need access to a pH meter that will give a reading based on a voltage signal. I recommend asking your teacher for a suggestion, or contact a local high school, university, or local laboratory. I'm sure there's a pH meter available for you to borrow for just a few samples.

Good luck!

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science