independent variable

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

independent variable

Postby huntbob » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:36 pm

I plan to test different fabrics and their static electricity ( http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p023.shtml ). I have to tell what the independent and dependent variables are. I think the different materials are the dependent variables because that is what I am testing, but I don't know what the independent variable is. Can you help me figure this out? Thank you.
huntbob

Project Question: Plan to test static electricity in different materials: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p023.shtml

Not sure what is the independent variable and what is the dependent variable in this experiment. I think the different material is the dependent variable, but what is the independent? Thank you.
Project Due Date: Feb 19 is final day
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: independent variable

Postby staryl13 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi!
Usually we tell independent and dependent variables by plugging them into this equation, "The effect of (independent variable) on (dependent variable). It seems like for this project, you are testing the effect of static electricity on the different fabrics, so your independent variable is static electricity. Good luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
staryl13
Former Expert

Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby sciencebuddy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:25 pm

I think the different types of materials are the independent variable since that is what you are changing.

The dependent variable is the "Distance Between Ball and Pan" since that is the result you are looking for.
sciencebuddy
Former Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Postby time_traveler » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 am

Hi,

I agree with ScienceBuddy. The independent variable is the fabric you are testing and the dependent variable is the distance between the ball and pan. Think about it this way: changing the type of fabric changes the distance between the ball and the pan. Therefore, the distance is "dependent" on the type of fabric. Another way to think about it is in terms of a graph. Normally you plot the independent variable on the x axis and the dependent variable on the y axis. In this case, you could make a bar graph where each different type of fabric is listed on the x axis and has a corresponding y value (the dependent variable) which would be the distance.

Hope this helps,

Manjinder
time_traveler
Former Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science