salt affect object to float

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

salt affect object to float

Postby candybox14 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 pm

How does the amount of salt affect an object to float in water :?:
PLEASE HELP :!: :!:
I ONLY HAVE TILL APRIL 26 :!: :!:
-candybox14 :P
candybox14

Project Question: How does the amount of salt affect an object to float?
Project Due Date: 4-26-11
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: salt affect object to float

Postby rmarz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:28 pm

candybox14 - Salt added to water increases its density thereby acting on the buoyancy of any object placed in the liquid. Seawater is approximately 2.5% more dense than freshwater. It contains about 35 grams of salt (sodium chloride) per liter of water. A saturated saltwater mixture (the water cannot dissolve any more salt) contains about 350 grams of salt per liter of water and would increase the buoyancy significantly. There are several references you can find relating to buoyancy, saltwater density and Archimedes principle that might help you understand the effect. Good luck.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: salt affect object to float

Postby candybox14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:40 pm

[quote="rmarz"]candybox14 - Salt added to water increases its density thereby acting on the buoyancy of any object placed in the liquid. Seawater is approximately 2.5% more dense than freshwater. It contains about 35 grams of salt (sodium chloride) per liter of water. A saturated saltwater mixture (the water cannot dissolve any more salt) contains about 350 grams of salt per liter of water and would increase the buoyancy significantly. There are several references you can find relating to buoyancy, saltwater density and Archimedes principle that might help you understand the effect. Good luck.

Rick Marz

thanks rick marz i'll try my best...
candybox14

Project Question: How does the amount of salt affect an object to float?
Project Due Date: 4-26-11
Project Status: I am just starting

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science