Which freezes faster, hot or cold water?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Which freezes faster, hot or cold water?

Postby Akalski » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:14 pm

I know that the hot water froze faster than the cold water? I did some research, but dont exactly what they mean. Can some one explain the Melba effect to me in simple terms? Thank you!!!!!
Akalski

Project Question: Which freezes faster, warm water or cold water?
Project Due Date: Completed
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Which freezes faster, hot or cold water?

Postby rmarz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:18 pm

Akalski - The phenomena you are referring to is the Mpemba effect. Not everything is known about why, under certain conditions, warm water can freeze faster than cold water (all other variables tightly controlled). It sounds like your experiment achieved a positive Mpemba result. If you look at the Science Buddies project information and the related FAQ's you may understand better, but the ultimate answer is that nobody has established a complete understanding. There are several theories and hypotheses, but there is still a bit of a mystery surrounding it. With this correct spelling, perhaps you can find other sources that help you understand the phenomena. There are other sources listed in the reference material that can help.

Rick Marz

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p032.shtml
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science