Need project idea re: wind tunnel and corrosion

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Need project idea re: wind tunnel and corrosion

Postby Pmaeda » Mon May 07, 2012 6:57 pm

I need a project combining corrosion and a home made wind tunnel.
Pmaeda

Project Question: My child wants to do a science fair project combining corrosion and a home made wind tunnel
Project Due Date: June 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Need project idea re: wind tunnel and corrosion

Postby kgudger » Mon May 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums!

These two ideas seem very different. Could you give us some more information about what you wish to investigate? There are some NASA articles about problems with wind tunnel plumbing and corrosion, but I don't see anything else on the web combining these two ideas. Any further information is appreciated.

Keith
kgudger

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby theborg » Tue May 08, 2012 4:29 am

If you are looking to do an experiment on corrosion that uses a wind tunnel vs corrosion of a wind tunnel, perhaps an experiment on the effects corrosion has on the aerodynamics of a wing. If you have access to a wind tunnel (or wish to build one, science buddies has directions on how to build one) you could test these. Beware, it requires some level of knowledge of fluid dynamics that may be difficult for a 6-8 grade student, though not impossible, so I don't want to discourage. Post back with greater detail of what you are thinking, and we will try to help.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A

Postby Ray Trent » Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Another good possibility would be to see whether metal exposed to fast moving air rusts faster than metal exposed to stagnant air.

I honestly don't know which one would corrode more, which is usually a pretty good sign for a science experiment :-). (I suspect that the relative humidity will matter more than the air speed, but it's seems like something that should be tested)
../ray\..
Ray Trent
Expert

Postby Pmaeda » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:47 am

How would I set up this experiment? Maybe put iron wool in a dish of water inside the wind tunnel and the same amount of iron wool with the same amount of iron wool outside the wind tunnel? Or?
Pmaeda

Project Question: My child wants to do a science fair project combining corrosion and a home made wind tunnel
Project Due Date: June 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby wendellwiggins » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:06 am

Hello Pmaeda,

I would suggest it would perhaps be more interesting if you presented the water to the steel wool in the air. You could change the relative humidity and temperature in the room where you have the wind tunnel with a humidifier and the room heating and place dry steel wool or other material in and outside the wind tunnel.

Good luck, WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science