Audacity numerical data question

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Audacity numerical data question

Postby smithce » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:35 am

My project question is: how does the price of a bass affect its sound wave? For this project I played basses ranging from about $2,500 to over $10,000. I have already done my experimentation. I'm having trouble putting my data into numerical form, and i was wondering if you could help. I have another program for this similar function if it comes down to that, but i would prefer to use this software because i did all my experimentation using this software.I couldn't get my actual data to load as an attachment so here is a link to a similar picture. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/i ... ording.png
Thanks!
smithce

Project Question: how does the priceof an acoustic bass affect its "soundprint" .
Project Due Date: feb.
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Audacity numerical data question

Postby dcnick96 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Hello. Can you explain your project a little more so that I can understand what data you are trying to work with? You say you are investigating how the price of a bass affects its "soundprint." How are you measuring differences in soundprint, and can you extract that from the software?
Deana
dcnick96

Postby smithce » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:14 am

I've changed my project since I signed up, so the info given there isn't exactly accurate. Im testing stand-up basses with prices ranging from $2,000 to over $10,000 to see if the more expensive the bass gets, the more animated the sound waves are, I can't really say if that quality is "better" or not. Im trying to see if it is worth spending extra money on a bass. My problem is that I don't know how to extract numbers from my data, and if I should change my software.
Thanks!
smithce

Project Question: how does the priceof an acoustic bass affect its "soundprint" .

Postby kgudger » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi:

There have been several posts about using audacity to analyze music on the forums, so it would be a good idea to search them for more help.

You can use the "analyze" tab in audacity to get a spectrum plot. You can look at the number of harmonics and their relative dB values to get a measure of the sounds of the basses. I assume you played specific notes on each bass, such as 'A' (a power of 2 multiple of 110 Hz, e.g. 220, 440, and so on). I've heard that odd harmonics tend to sound "better" to most people than even harmonics. You could research this, too, to see how people evaluate the sound of harmonics.

Keith
kgudger

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby smithce » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:12 am

I changed my hypothesis to "If I change the price of the bass, then the sound wave will change. I have gatered the data the way you said and then averaged it on microsoft Excel. My question now is what does it mean if ALL of the data's average was the same. For each string it was always the same 11025, even though the strings have different frequencys. I don't know what i should do. Any guidance is welcome! Thanks!
smithce

Return to Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science