Discussion

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Discussion

Postby EmmaShepp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi, i just wanted to know whether or not i should states facts in my discussion? In case you wanted to know i'm trying to find out "which cup material will make boiling water cool down quicker." I've already done the experiment and now i'm just writing the discussion. Hope you can help me :)
EmmaShepp

Project Question: What cup type does the temperature of tea drop quicker?
Project Due Date: 4th March, 2013
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Discussion

Postby SciB » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi Emma,

Thanks for using the Ask an Expert forum for your project. In the Discussion you should explain what your results mean and compare your conclusions to what other scientists have said about it. You can certainly restate the 'facts' if by that you mean what you saw in your experiments.

From your post, I gather that you tested a fixed volume of water of a certain temperature in cups of glass, metal, plastic, porcelain, etc and measured change in temperature over time. In your Discussion you can talk about the heat conduction properties of the materials. Did you include an insulated cup as a control? You could explain how insulation works and prove it by showing your temperature results.

If you found something unusual in your results, the Discussion is where you talk about that and speculate on why it happened and what it means.

Lastly, the Discussion is where you can say what you want to do in the future--like use your knowledge to design a cup that would keep the coffee or tea hot for hours.

So, yes you can certainly put 'facts' into your Discussion. Let us know if you need help again and how you made out on the project.

Cheers,

SciB
SciB
Expert

Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to participate in the Ask an Expert program.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Discussion

Postby grace7177 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:50 am

Hi Emma,

SciB as given you some excellent advice on formatting your discussion section.

I also wanted to let you know that you can certainly combine your results and discussion if it makes it easier to present each data with explanation side by side.

Usually, you would state the facts in the results section and key data such as the p values reinstated in the dicussion section.
You might also want to find some other journals that support your findings as part of your discussion.

For more information, you can click on http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... aper.shtml to read an in depth analysis of a scientific paper.

Good luck!

-Grace
grace7177
Expert

Project Question: Biochemistry
Project Due Date: Completed
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences